Doubts

(Superman lifted the debris off of the entrance to a Subway station)

(He set it down gently as he cleared the wreckage, He looked around and sighed)

(Metropolis was still a wreck after Zod's invasion, the damage the world engine caused had been devastating, not to mention the damage Superman's battle with Zod had caused)

(Which brought Clark's thoughts back to what happened with Zod...he killed him..and he hated that he had to do it..Zod was the only Kryptonian left, the last of his race..the others trapped inside the Phantom Zone, Clark really was the only Kryptonian left now...and despite loving his mom and getting closer with Lois...that fact would always make him feel alone..)

(Superman then heard a man shouting, he turned to face an angry civilian pointing at him)

Man: "You! This was your fault! You don't deserve to be here!"

Superman: "I'm sorry, sir. I promise I'll do everything I can to make up for.."

Man: "You've done more than enough already! Do you realize how many people are dead? Huh? How many grieving families are praying for hope right now? You may not be this General Zod...but YOU'RE the reason he came here and did...this." (He gestured to the destruction surrounding them)

(Superman looked at the man with deep hurt in his eyes knowing that he was right, this was all his fault...and nothing he could say or do would ever make up for that)

(He looked at the man one last time and whispered)

Superman: "..I'm sorry."

(With that Clark shot off into the sky, desperately hoping for the shining sun to take away his pain, knowing that physically that was true but..mentally and emotionally...there would always be scars)