The King's Mate - II

Without conscious thought, I caught Therese against me and then scooped up her legs. She squeaked a little in surprise, the sound muffled by her stuffed nose. I smiled and shook my head as I walked toward the edge of the lot. If I had my guess, Dimitri would have parked a car for us already.

"Your cold or the medicine is going to do you in," I noted.

"You can't go around carrying people, Gabriel," Therese countered and I nodded.

"Too true," I admitted. "But then, I'm not carrying people," I argued. "I'm carrying you."

"But-" she began, but was cut off by a yawn that looked ready to crack her jaw.

You have a vehicle for us? I questioned Dimitri as I made it to the sidewalk.

Yes, Your Majesty, he replied. Black Ford, two cars to your right, he explained. I gave a slight nod and walked toward the car as Therese's head settled against my chest, causing Dharak to rumble with approval in the back of my head.

"Here we are," I said as I walked around and opened the door to the passenger side. I set Therese in and then jogged around to the driver's side, sliding in and putting on my belt.

"Where to?" I asked, looking at her.

She was exquisite, but so very exhausted. Her eyes were half lidded as she yawned again and then murmured an apology. I shook my head as I waited for her answer.

"400 block ob Avenue F," she answered, gesturing off to the right. "Take dis street ub to the first light and thend turn right. It's actually walking distance, when I'mb not fighting off the plague," she mumbled.

Nodding, I keyed the ignition, thankful that Therese was too out of it to notice that the keys had been left in the car. Following her directions, I was in front of an older, cottage-style house within just five minutes. As I pulled into the drive, I saw that her walk needed to be shoveled from the snowfall that had hit earlier in the day.

Moving around, I opened her side and lifted her again. She gave me a look, but I ignored it in favor of getting her inside. With as ill as she seemed, waiting around in the cold was not in her best interest.

After I bent for her to key open her front door, I stepped over the threshold into the most welcoming, warmest home I'd ever graced. Around me, the walls were painted in a soft chocolate color and accented with bright yellows that gave life and light to the room. Her furniture was sturdy oak: well-worn but in good shape. And the air, even outside of her alluring scent, was filled with the scent of spice.

"Where is your room?" I asked, looking down to her. She nodded off to the side, her eyes still drooping. She'd be asleep right now if I'd stop making her talk.

Walking through a doorway, I found a queen-sized bed with a fluffy comforter over the top. The dresser to the side had photographs stuck in it and a mishmash of collectibles on the surface. The light by the bed was on and the covers to the bed were pulled back, a tissue box on the floor.

I set her on the bed and pulled off her shoes first, noting that she was swaying again. She flopped back, raising her foot in the air and giggling just a little bit when my fingers scraped over the underside of one foot. My Queen was ticklish.

Once her shoes were off, I reached forward and pulled her back to sit up. In short order, I had her coat and scarf off, leaving her in a lighter long sleeved shirt that clung to her chest lovingly. Swallowing, I jogged my head to the bed.

"Crawl under," I ordered softly.

Therese yawned again and flipped onto her belly, crawling up the bed and leaving me hard at the sight of her jean clad ass. She then face planted into the pillows and groaned as her hand blindly reached for the blanket but came up empty. Chuckling, I lifted it and raised it over her.

"Sleep," I demanded. Therese turned and smiled at me sleepily.

"Tank youb, Gabriel," she said softly. I nodded as I traced a light hand over her forehead, pushing a strand away from it and relishing the tingles that danced up my fingertips.

Although I wanted nothing more than to crawl into the bed with her, I made myself turn and walk out of her bedroom. Just outside the door, I sucked in a deep breath as I warred with myself. I should leave.

Don't you dare, Dharak growled in my head. Mate needs us, he rumbled.

She's human, I replied. She might become frightened if we stay, I explained.

No, Dharak responded, no doubt considering that sufficient answer.

It was a risk to attempt to leave when he was like this. Although centuries had helped me to gain control, it had likewise taught him the same. I was not certain that I would win the fight if I pushed the issue, especially when I didn't actually wish to leave.

Fine, I said, moving to the doorway. I wouldn't leave, but I should talk to Dimitri.

When I opened the door, he walked up from the side of the building. He gave a nod to my unspoken question: the others were setting a perimeter to ensure our safety. As I pushed my hands into the pockets of my dress pants, I glanced over my shoulder at Therese's home.

"I've already cancelled the flight tomorrow," Dimitri stated, causing my lips to quirk.

"Good call," I commented. He chuckled and then looked at me more seriously.

"Is she alright? Shall I get her a doctor?" he asked, his eyes anxious.

Traditionally, the Gamma of any pack has a protective relationship with the Luna. While the Alpha is the ultimate protector, the Gamma's responsibilities often include assuring the safety of the Alpha's mate. It came as no surprise, therefore, that Dimitri was pulled to check on Therese – it was in his and his wolf's nature to do so.

"A head cold," I replied. "Sleep and soup should do the trick," I explained. He nodded and then his eyes glazed as he instructed one of the warriors with us to seek out something to feed Therese.

"We'll keep watch," Dimitri stated. I grimaced, disliking the plan. Although all of the wolves on this trip – me included – were fully capable of spending an evening sleeping under the stars, it wasn't my preference.

"We have hotel rooms. You could all head over," I commented, to which Dimitri snorted.

"No offense, Your Majesty," he said. "But even if I could convince them to give you space, the only way I'm keeping the Royal Guard away from the Queen is with an Alpha order commanding it," he noted drily.

"Already?" I asked, pleased but a little surprised. His desire to care for the Queen Luna made sense. The warriors, on the other hand, could have just as easily waited for a relationship to develop. Or, a conversation, for that matter.

"Centuries, Your Majesty," Dimitri reminded me. "Though this group has only been with us for a part of it, none of them misunderstand the importance of today's events. And, if I might be so bold," he said with a wide smile.

"Congratulations."