Beloved Fae - I

Flora was curious.

In all her years, she had always been content and happy in the forest surrounding a mountain within the Rockies. Although fires had come and gone and wildlife had changed, her peace had continued. The smell of pine and the green of the needles had always been enough to keep her occupied.

It was strange, therefore, when she developed a new interest. While she couldn't call herself bored, she was also not fully invested in the plants and trees that surrounded her. Rather, there was something calling to her about two miles from the edge of her regular haunt.

At first, Flora ignored it. Though it was like a strange pulling sensation, she figured that it wasn't anything terribly unique. She'd been in her forest for a long time, so it would stand to reason that she would eventually feel the need to explore other parts of it. At least, that was what she told herself, since she had no interest in seeking out another fae to discuss the matter.

After two months of feeling the pull at random times, however, Flora finally turned her wings toward where her curiosity seemed to be calling out to her. The translucent appendages carried her three-inch form quickly through the trees, letting her zip past flowers and rodents much like a dragonfly. In no time, she was landing at the edge of a clearing.

There, before her very eyes, was a building that had not previously been standing. As Flora looked on with concern, she noted that the building was finishing construction. The two month delay she'd engaged in meant that it was nearly done – there would soon be another being in her forest.

Sitting on a branch in a larger pine tree, Flora watched the movement into and around the structure. It appeared to be a home. By the size of the cut outs, there were to be large windows that would allow the occupants to see into the forest. Indeed, it almost looked like the plan was to create the impression of living in the forest itself, if the workers nearby were any clue – they were planting large Quaking Aspen trees.

Worry plagued her.

There was a road that led to this part of the forest, but she'd never seen a human upon it. Now, as her eyes took in the movement, she noted a troop of them creating what was clearly to be a residence. Even if it were only a part time one, she would no longer be alone.

As a plant fae, Flora was generally an easily pleased, happy creature. She rarely transformed to her larger form, leaving herself as is while she tended to her home. The smallest of things could bring her joy, which led to her laughter sprinkling through the forest.

Flora also wasn't terribly outgoing, though. She might like other lifeforms, but she didn't seek them out. It was a part of her nature that had caused her to leave the community of fae where she'd been born. None of them had understood that she was a quiet one, even for a fairy. She hadn't been comfortable with the near constant push for her to spend time in celebration with other fae. She'd been just as happy to enjoy the wildflowers on her own – a fact that had caused ripples of tension when she'd decried interest in the males of her species.

Now, as she let the clear evidence of a new resident in her forest settle in, Flora flicked her thumb nail over her teeth. Although it was large, the house was not the size of those she'd seen used by werewolves. It seemed unlikely, then, that a pack would be moving in. The lack of shifters meant that she'd now likely be sharing the greenery with either a human or vampire. Or, she thought as she continued to watch, a group of them.

Settling more comfortably on her branch, Flora decided to wait. The workers were all in a flurry, appearing to try to complete the building as soon as possible. Even if they did it today, however, Flora didn't imagine that its new occupants would move in tonight. She'd just hold tight and, when they all left, she'd do a little tour of the house.

--

Watching construction was, in Flora's mind, about just as interesting as watching a rock roll downhill. While there was the occasional bump here and there that caused her mind to pique, it was generally boring. Thus, it was no surprise when she felt her lids begin to droop.

Hours after the morning sun had risen, blazed overhead, and then began to sink toward the horizon once more, Flora was still curled up on her branch. The machinery used to build the home was loud and vibrating. The sounds had been enough to lull her to sleep, despite how abnormal it was to hear them in the forest. It was the returning silence, therefore, which woke her from her slumber.

Coming to a stand and looking around, Flora noted that the first sprinkling of stars were blanketing the sky. Her clothing, a light dress that was well-suited to the late summer, was just still fine as the heat of the day lingered. If she stayed out much later, however, she'd need to alter her clothing for something warmer.

Looking around with interest and listening closely, Flora heard nothing out of the ordinary. The humans who had been working on the home had gone. So, with a burst of energy, Flora flew toward the structure.

In her sleep, the windows had been placed. As she flew around and peered inside, she noted that much of the internal work was similarly done. She was no expert, but she'd guess that the house was almost ready for someone to live in it.

Finding that the back door had been left slightly ajar, Flora slipped through the crack and explored. Whoever was to live here was clearly a fan of the wilderness. In nearly every room, there were floor to ceiling windows that showed the trees surrounding the building. Indeed, as Flora looked on curiously, she noted that the trees that had been planted near the roadway coming to the building were ones that would overtake the space.

Either they'd planned poorly, or the new inhabitants did not wish to have full vehicles coming up the path once they'd settled in.

Letting her wonder take her around, Flora wandered for a good half an hour. At the end of her tour, she nodded. The house appeared ready to provide for a small family. It may not be perfect, but so long as they did not intentionally harm her forest, there was no reason for excessive concern. She'd just have to be careful about where and when she flew.

Having satisfied herself that her home was still relatively safe, Flora left the new construction. As she zinged through the night trees, she grasped a berry to eat and made her way to her favorite pine. There was a nook there that she'd made up to house her things and, though she'd slept much of the day, she was looking forward to her bed.