08

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗

Eunji's POV
Bidding the nurses goodbye, I swiftly leave the hospital. I'd spent today at school, before quickly visiting my brother. There were still no changes, and despite knowing the chances he'd wake up, I always went there only to be disappointed. I've always tried my hardest to stay optimistic but lately my hope had been withering slowly. God, I just need a drink.

Luckily, I was on my way to meet Sohee at the bar - she was always the best person to talk to when I had problems. As I payed the taxi driver, I quickly got out the taxi and entered the loud and cramped bar. It took me a while to find Sohee, but I finally saw her sitting in a corner booth.

"Hey, Sohee," I greet, taking a seat. However, she seemed to be immersed in her thoughts as she continued to stare at her drink. I tap her on the shoulder, causing her to jump. "You good? You've been acting a little weird lately."

"I'm fine, just some stuff that's all. What was it you needed to talk about?"

"I just wanted to check on you, and I just felt like a drink." I lightly laugh, waving at the bartender to get me the same as Sohee.

"Ah right, some people have been saying your going out with Jaehyun?"

Pausing, I take a moment trying to think of a way to explain our relationship without revealing the fact that he's part of a gang. Call me crazy, but I don't think it's very normal. "What do you mean? Me dating Jaehyun?" I laugh awkwardly, hoping she would drop it.

"Yea, people said they've seen you guys leaving each other's houses a few time." she answered nonchalantly - this started seeming more like an interrogation - and the fact that people 'saw' that just sounds creepy.

"Who? It's not like we have people watching us." I take a sip of my drink, smiling slightly - assuming what I'd said was a joke.

My words seem to fluster Sohee, as she nervously takes a sip of her drink while avoiding eye contact. She laughs, rubbing the nape of her neck. "Just people at school, why do you have to be so defensive!" she blurts.

I stare at her suspiciously; what's wrong with her? "Chill Sohee, I was only joking! Seriously, what's wrong? You're so on edge lately."

"I'm fine! How many times do I need to say that? Not everyone is just gonna tell you everything and anything when you ask if their ok!" Sohee raises her voice slightly, startling me. Taking a deep sigh, she continues: "I have to go. Bye." She grabs her stuff, storming out.

What was that?

∘✾ ◦∘ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ∘◦ ✾

Jaehyun' POV
"What the hell were you thinking, Jaehyun! First you let her into your home; then you expose your men's identity? Do you not understand how much danger you've put us in?" my uncles loud voice booms throughout the office. I'd never seen him so angry. Despite my urge to fight back, I knew it'd be best to wait till he's done.

"She doesn't even need protection! Your family is more important than she is - so why on earth would you put her safety ahead of ours? Just because you trust her doesn't mean she can be trusted!" he slams his fist against the table, breathing heavily.

"Uncle, please! She has no reason to go to the police! Eunji is a good person, and she's loyal. If you'd seen the fear in her eyes when she had that gun pointed at her, you'd know that she wasn't part of a different gang - it was the same damn fear my brother had when we were first attacked!" I defend. My uncle wanted to 'remove' Eunji, since she knew too much. No matter what it took, I wouldn't let him - not because of what happened last night, because I can't be the reason another innocent person gets killed.

"Jaehyun, please. I understand you want to protect her, but it's not worth compromising our safety. It's also putting you in danger. What am I meant to do if something happens to you?" my uncle's change in tone surprises me, but it wasn't enough to change my mind.

Walking towards the door, I turn to continue: "Don't worry about me, and don't worry about Eunji. If something happens, I'll take all the responsibility, but you can't just kill her - she's innocent." With that I leave, unwilling to listen to my uncle's relentless arguing.

As I open the door to the apartment I'm met with an odd silence, the same one I'd had this morning. Assuming Eunji wasn't home, I made my way towards my room. However, as I reached my door I could hear shuffling in the kitchen; I go to investigate the noise.

Eunji jumps once she notices my figure leaning against the wall. She places her hand over her heart, glaring at me. "What the hell! You can't just scare someone like that!"

I lightly laugh, studying her expression, something was wrong. "Did something happen?" I ask walking towards her.

She moves back, continuing what she was doing. "Fine, I just met up with Sohee. She was acting a bit weird."

Sohee. That name rung a bell. I knew she was Eunji's friend, but I swear I knew someone else with that name. "I'm sure it's fine, just be careful."

She nods slowly, avoiding all eye contact with me. I gulp nervously, not knowing if I should ask. "Can we talk?"

╚═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╝

sorry this took so long lol,, ive literally spent my holidays sleeping bc ive been so dead😪😂anyway,, ive also been writing another book bc i had an idea at one point so idk maybe i'll publish another at some point?? hope you enjoyed tho and have a nice day!!💞