Chapter 12

Kyle and I were walking through a park. It was a park I'd never been to before, one that was almost secluded other than a few elderly couples walking around. A few dogs were also sprinting around the park and Jace who was walking in front of us watched them. His tongue was drooping out of his mouth and I smiled, knowing he wanted to chase after the others.

     "Easy there Jace," Kyle said, tugging at Jace's leash. "We're sticking to this path. No running around today."

     Jace's tongue went back into his mouth and he grew somber, and I giggled. Somehow, Jace seemed to understand what Kyle said.

     The three of us continued to walk down the path that wound around the park in silence and I thought about how Kyle had called to ask to hang out. It had been the first time he'd done that and my heart softened as I wondered if Kyle was checking up on me. Glancing at him, I smiled as I thought about how caring and loving Kyle ended up being, when Will and I both thought he was some heartless monster. It was a plot twist I welcomed in my life.

     "Here, let me take Jace on a mini sprint," I said, extending my hand out towards Kyle. "I feel bad."

     "Fine," Kyle said, shaking his head at Jace who brightened up when I took the leash.

     I began to run forward along the path and Jace ran at my side. He began to bark with joy and I laughed as he began to run faster than me, seeming to love the rush of our run. His speed kept increasing and soon, I found myself struggling to keep up, so I threw myself onto the ground as if I fell. Jace jumped and with his eyes full of fear, he turned around and ran to me.

     But upon seeing that I wasn't hurt, he barked and then began to lick my face. I ran my fingers through his thick fur and he began to pant and eventually, he laid down on the ground and rolled so that his stomach was facing the air. I tickled him gently and laughed as he continued to bark.

     Remembering Kyle existed, I then turned to look at him and grew surprised because Kyle was watching me with that look that gave me shivers. His eyes were full of emotions and he was staring at me as if I was all he could see. I gulped, caught off guard and I couldn't help but ask what I'd been wondering.

     "Why do you look at me like that?" I asked. "I mean, whenever I play with Jace."

     "Like what?" Kyle asked.

     I bit my lip, unsure of how to explain it. Whenever Kyle gave me that look, it made me shudder. It sent chills through me and I couldn't quite put it into words how it looked like because it was a look I'd never seen anyone give me before.

     "I've never seen Jace look so happy with anyone other than my own family," Kyle said. "He really likes you."

     "You really think so," I said, glancing at Jace.

     Jace barked as if to confirm Kyle's words and I laughed. Placing my lips on his forehead quickly, I grew happy.

     Picking myself off the ground, I took Jace's leash and gave it back to Kyle. I was tired from our run and moving to Kyle's side, we went back to walking around the park. And thankfully, Jace now seemed content with just walking around.

     "Have you ever been so conflicted about something that it drives you nearly insane?" Kyle asked.

     Caught off guard, I looked to him and wondered where that question came from. We were in the middle of a silent walk and I hadn't expected Kyle to ask a question like that.

     "For sure," I said. "I feel that way with my parents. Sometimes I wonder if I should just pick up one of their calls. It's been four year and I haven't talked to them since I left, and sometimes I wonder if I should. But then, I remember how manipulative they are and I think I should be selfish and ignore them for as long as I can. But then, I keep wondering if maybe I should just answer once. I keep switching between those two faiths."