Chapter 20

I was spamming Kyle's doorbell. This was the third time I drove all the way to Kyle's hotel and tried to talk to him, and once again Kyle was ignoring me. As I shouted, begged, and slammed my fists against his door in hopes of one last conversation, Kyle ignored me and I grew more and more deflated.

     A part of me knew I was being annoying and borderline creepy. I spent three days trying to get Kyle to talk to me to no avail and slowly, I was beginning to realize what we had was over. Kyle hated me and even if it was rightfully so, my heart sunk. I moved away from his door, realizing this was it. This was the end of us.

     Tears flooded into my eyes and I gulped. For a moment, I stared at the door in front of me, knowing it was time to move on. I loved Kyle and I would for a while, but it was time for me to leave Kyle alone. I hurt him and this was all my fault, and it was only fair I dealt with the consequences.

     Turning to leave, I jumped when suddenly, the door to Kyle's room flew open. I whirled back around and with wide eyes, I stared at Kyle in shock. After hours of trying, of begging and pleading, I couldn't believe Kyle finally gave in. As he stood there glaring at me, I was speechless as I stared back.

     "You're driving me insane!" Kyle snapped. "Seriously Clarissa, I'll call the cops if you don't leave. Or wait, maybe they're one of you."

     "I'm sorry," I said. "I just want to explain everything and talk to you. Just please Kyle, one conversation. That's all I'm asking for."

     "There's nothing to explain," Kyle said. "I know what you are and what you did. There's nothing you can say to make things better."

     "I know, but you have to listen to me. Just hear me out once."

     "You're a liar. I knew I shouldn't trust anyone and I was an idiot for letting you in." Kyle threw his hands up, frustrated and angry. But, I could see the hurt in his eyes. "Everyone tells me it's bad to have your guard up all the time and that I need to let it down, but I did that with you and you... you betrayed. If I had my guard up, I would have been protected from you."

     Kyle's words were like a dagger to the heart. I could heart his pain so clearly, so evidently that my heart ached as I realized just how much I hurt him. This was the first time I saw Kyle in pain rather than angry since he found out the truth.

     "Just let me explain," I whispered, unsure of what else to say. Tears flooded into my eyes and my voice was cracking. "Please."

     Kyle stared at me for a moment, his body rising and falling from his heavy breathing. He seemed to be fighting something, some sort of decision, and I stared at him and prayed he'd give in. All I wanted was to talk to Kyle, to let him hear my side, and I knew once I did that we'd finally have the slightest bit of closure.

     "Fine," Kyle said. "Come in and explain."

     Kyle turned around and went back into his room and I followed him, sighing with relief. Wrapping my arms around myself, I followed him into his living room where there was single couch in front of a TV. Kyle plopped himself down on one end and I sat on the other, and I sat facing him. Kyle was staring straight at the TV, seeming unable to look at me.

     "Ok, explain," Kyle said after a while. "This is what you wanted."

     I took a deep breath in and made a quick prayer that somehow, everything would be okay.

     "So, I'm a spy at Secret Spy Intelligence, which is a spy company at Linhedge. I became a spy at sixteen and I work under Will, who was the man who exposed my secret to you," I said. "I've never really been taken seriously as a spy though. I'm young and the only girl at the company, and I'm usually the sidekick in missions, never the leader. So one day Will came to me with this mission where I would have to make the notorious drug dealer Kyle fall for me. This was the first ever mission given to me and I happily took it because I so badly wanted to prove to the SSI that I was a capable spy."