Chapter 3 ~ Mom

I walk into Kagome's house behind InuYasha. An old man sits in the middle of the front room.

That must be Gramps.

He stares at me. "

Kagome! Is this another monster from the well?"

I feel myself shaking. I straighten up my legs as Kagome says, "No, Gramps, this is a girl from school, Kaori."

"Ah! Nice to meet you, Kaori! Now, where do you stay?"

"Um, excuse me, Mr... Higurashi, but I would like to say that I can travel from the Bone Eating Well."

"Ah! You see--"

Kagome interrupts Gramps. "Gramps? I think Kaori would like to speak to Mom."

"She's in the kitchen."

And, as we set off, Gramps calls "Oh - Bye, Kaori!"

"Mom?"

Mrs. Higurashi turns around. "Oh, Kagome, you've brought a friend round!"

"Mrs. Higurashi... I'm afraid I might be more than a friend."

I look Mrs. Higurashi in the eye. She drops the cup of tea she was carrying.

"Kaori... Kaori! Is that really you?" Mrs. Higurashi's eyes water, and she comes foward to hug me. 

Meanwhile, Kagome just stands there. "O-Onee-chan...?"

"Kagome, Kaori... I have something to show you both."

I look at my sister, and my mother goes to the Bone Eating Well as we follow her.

I widen my eyes. Is she going to jump?

She walks around it, up to the back of the room. She takes a box out carefully. "Kaori... This was the beginning of your life." She hands me a dark blue album book, which has the words 'Kaori," embellished in it in golden letters.