• Cute Thing as an Apology •

• Griff •

"Hey, look, it's the Little Dipper," Ash said, pointing upwards at a cluster of bright stars. I could hardly make out the constellation, but I nodded nonetheless.

"You know a lot about astrology," I said.

It's true. Ash had been pointing out constellations and specific stars and a bunch of other facts about the moon all night. She was constantly pointing upwards, voice muffled as she spoke with pretzels stuffed in her mouth.

Ash shrugged. "I used to be obsessed with it." She giggled quietly, half talking to me and half talking to herself as she stared out at the sky. "I remember I'd stay up late on my laptop, and I read things about the moon in the dark. At like one in the morning mom or dad would walk into the room and scold me. They'd take my laptop away and tell me to go to sleep. And I would. But before that I'd step out onto the balcony and watch the moon. I'd think about life, and about you."

She finally stopped talking, laughing sheepishly. "Sorry, I'm rambling."

"No, no," I urged. "Keep going. I love hearing about you."

She continued to stare upwards. "I thought about you a lot, you know. I wondered if you were still in juvie. I wondered if you were out. If you fell in love. I'd stare up at the moon, and talk to myself, but I'd be talking to you. And I thought you could hear me.

Obviously you couldn't.

When I got out of juvie, I still thought of you. I never, never, took off my bracelet. I kept it on all the time. All my siblings never really questioned why I wore it all the time. They didn't really care."

I took in a breath of the fresh air. "I thought about you a lot too," I said. "In juvie. And, I guess, I stayed in there longer than you. I was in juvie until we came to camp."

Ash's hand reached out for mine. Gladly, I took it.

We sat in silence for a few seconds, just enjoying each other's presence as we stared up at the stars.

"You know," I chuckled softly. "I remember practicing how to ask you out in the mirror."

"Really?" Ash yelped, sitting up to stare at me with a huge smile on her face. "Now way."

I nodded. "Almost everyday. I'd stand in the mirror early in the morning. You know, I originally had planned to give you a rose and ask you out on a canoe, right?"

Ash gasped. "No way!" She playfully slapped my arm, her eyes widening. "No way!"

I laughed. "Yes way."

Ash smiled, shaking her head. "I love you."

A smile made its way in my face. "Yeah, yeah. We should head back to camp."

i know it's short. im sorry :(((

also, this is a sort of sorry for not updating! i will be updating soon, i promise!

i love you guys ❤️

-maya❤️