ten

10 | Trust

.10 | Trust

Steve watched the steady rise and fall of Merida's chest as she slept in the small cot. He had wordlessly taken her to another part of the facility, asking no one's permission in the process. His eyebrows knitted together as the girl stirred ever so slightly in her slumber.

He had taken the liberty of telling a couple agents to call for a nurse for the girl so she could be changed and provided an area that was more comfortable and less intimidating.

General Wellington, the head of Mutant Relations and also the Mutant Placement Program, hadn't been pleased, but one look at Steve's determined eyes made him realize the righteous man wouldn't back down.

He ended up taking her to an unused dormitory for overflow agents that needed a place to rest their head. The room itself was standard. It was enough for her to rest without unwarranted interruptions or doctors poking at her with needles.

Steve had never been to the Chicago S.H.I.E.L.D. base, but what it lacked in decor it definitely made up for in size. The entire facility spanned two football fields. It was a little much, but Chicago has become a huge hub for S.H.I.E.L.D. and they capitalized on the land that the compound now sat on.

The room she was put in was small but had enough space for a handful of people without feeling cramped. The cot was standard size, but he found she looked so small against the width of the cot. He was reminded by how delicate she felt against his chest as he carried her away.

Steve had been careful not to hurt her.

Her lithe figure and malnutrition bones pained him, and he didn't want to add anymore to her suffering by accidentally hurting her. She was like a paper Mache bird, crumpled and folded up in his arms.

He couldn't imagine what she had been through before all of this. He had yet to hear any kind of report on her human form, but the doctors had been able to give them a preliminary report on her mutant gene.

They had all been given a run down about an hour ago.

The girl's tiger form was part of the mutated gene she had. That much he figured already, but the size of her mutant form, the strength, senses and healing capabilities were profound and completely off the charts. Not only that, but her tiger form could register human words.

The tiger form was like knocking against cold hard steel. The doctors found that the muscle, tissue, and bones were all encased by a protective layer that was near impenetrable by human devices. Even when the bullets had entered her body the layer that protected everything cushioned the blow.

It was as if her tiger form created an added layer of protection.

His thoughts went back to the meeting with the doctor....

The doctor wore wiry rimmed glasses, sported a bald head and wore a typical white  coat as he pointed at an array of x-rays and other files that had been done while Merida's tiger form had been sedated. He used a small black clicker in his hand as he went through an overly done presentation for Steve, Natasha, Sam, General Wellington and the head of the Chicago S.H.I.E.L.D. facility, Agent Bowers.