fifteen

15 | It's Okay

.15 | It's Okay

[Trigger Warning: Talk of suicide, self-harm]

It didn't take long for Fury to assess the situation, his jaw tightening as he watched the remarkable mutant transform before his eye. He then side-eyed Tony, who in return raised a brow at the Director expectantly.

"I'll make some calls," Fury offered with heavy reluctance, his jaw tightening again.

Tony smiled and asked again, "So, can we keep her?"

Steve glanced up at Merida with reassurance, their eyes meeting briefly before she averted them down again so she could take a moment and collect herself.

She exhaled audibly in relief.

The moment it took the man Fury to assess the situation was enough to make her hold her breath; it was nerve-wracking because her fate had been in his hands.

She had hoped the silent defiance and desperation that formed in her flat brown eyes moments ago was enough to make him bend a little. He seemed like a man that was hard to crack, but she hoped maybe, just maybe, she her could bend the surface of his walls a little. Something worked because he was buying her a little bit of time.

"I can hold General Wellington off for awhile, but I make no promises after that.."

"Eh, he'll get over it," Tony dismissed, using his free hand to wave off Fury's concern of the General.

"I don't know if he will this time," Natasha chimed in with genuine concern growing in her contemplative eyes. She glanced at Steve and then pursed her lips for a moment before meeting Tony's gaze across the room and adding, "He was dead set on having her,"

Tony made a noise with his mouth as if he weren't worried in the least of the General getting his hands on the girl. Merida felt her insides quiver at the idea of being taken by this man named General Wellington. Every frail muscle in her body cringed at the thought of being back in a cage with anyone that didn't have her best interest at heart.

She was just surprised these people so quickly came to her aid; had saved her. She didn't know what it was like to have people that genuinely cared, save for Fran and Ansem. This was new to her, still made her uncomfortable to a high degree. She watched them, her small self feeling as if she were more of a burden than anything else.

It would have been easier if Steve had left her, less of a hassle. She knew that. Still, the Avenger had saved her from that wretched fairground and had never looked back since; nor had he shown the least bit of regret about it either.

"If it's the General Wellington I know then I'm fairly certain he likes to partake in some extra curricular activities when his wife isn't around. I really doubt he'd like that information getting back to her or the public so..." Tony shrugged with a cheeky smile, indicating he had dirt on the head of Mutant Relations.