Chapter 26

" Zichen" he giggled.

"Song Zichen" he tip toed in front of him with the most innocent smile the world could offer.

.

.

.

"Song Zichen." 

"...?" 

"You're courtesy name is Song Zichen." Master Guang had informed him.

Master Guang had called all the children in the hall of their temple. Children didn't know what the sudden occasion was but Master Guang had a stern look on his face, which meant it was something serious.

"This is the whisk I give you, It will serve as a reminder."

 Master Guang handed him the Horsetail whisk made of black sleek cilium. The shaft was made of Black  Wood. There was the scripture  Xian 僊  chiselled on it. It was indeed a reminder. 

Reminder of blood covered snow and lies he had been told. 

"If any point in life you need my assistance, just burn this tassel. I will come to you no matter where you are." Master Guang said giving him the Emerald tassel for peace of mind.

"Is Gege going somewhere? " Lin Qi asked after witnessing the whole scene. 

It was not just Lin Qin, all of the children had perplexed look on their faces. 

"Yes my child, A-Lan is going to travel." Master Guang answered. 

"Where?" Ruo Yin asked.

"Far! somewhere very far from here." 

"Why?" Lin Qin asked.

"Because Da-ge can't stay any longer." This time Ying Shu answered, sensing the hesitation in Master Guang's voice. Before children could ask any more questions, Ying Shu gestured them all of be quiet.

Lastly he held Fuxue in his hand then offered it to Song Lan. Song Lan stared into it for the longest time. He couldn't bring himself to touch it. He was afraid to touch it.  A slight pat on his shoulder woke him up from his dilemma. It was Xiao Xingchen. 

Song Lan looked at Xiao XingChen, suppressing all the emotions.

How much of you is a lie? How much you didn't tell me? How much can I trust you? 

Xiao XingChen saw his eyes full of doubt and pain. Xiao Xingchen closed his eyes, after taking a deep breath he opened his eyes again. It was a gesture for Song Lan to do the same.

Those Silver eyes.

They said everything and He heard everything.

Song Lan stood there with million thoughts in his mind. But once he took a deep breath he realized what to do. The  Storm indeed came too soon.He finally took the Fuxue not as a blade of his father but as a sword of a cultivator.

The children were all looking at Song Lan for an explanation. Their eyes were already wet and the snow didn't help the gloomy atmosphere either.

Song Lan directed at the children and with the pained smile he said,

"Looks like the bird has to fly now." 

.

.

.

"Song Zichen." He smiled again.

"How long are you going to say that?" Song Lan referred to the boy in white robes fluttering in the wind. The two had set out on a journey to eliminate the sins.

"I never had the courtesy name. It sounds so fascinating." Xiao Xingchen smiled to himself.

"Why?" Song Lan asked. He never asked for his name nor did he call him by any.

"Courtesy is not a name, it's a deed, Niang said."

 Every time he talked about Baoshan Sanren, his eyes would fill with loneliness. Song Lan had always wanted to know the reason but the question would bring a sad look on his face and Song Lan rather not see him sad.

Just like Song Lan, Xiao Xingchen was trapped in the past. Master Guang couldn't escape the horror either. He really was cursed by the gods. Raising a son like his own only to break him, it  was more than a punishment he deserved.

"I have it too." Xiao Xingchen leaned closer, staring at his whisk.

He took out his whisk from the Guqin pouch he had been carrying under his robes. It was made of White Cedar and white cilium. There was Red tassel swinging along. 

Just like him (SL) he (XXC) had been given 3 gifts from his master upon departure. It was the common practice when Temple disciples would leave as wandering cultivators, never to return again.

"Now we match." Xiao Xingchen joint the both whisk together. The white and black cilium mingled with each other perfectly complementing the two.

There were so many things Song Lan wanted to ask but he was scared to know. Afraid he might break again. He left behind his siblings, he left behind his home just so he could leave behind his past. 

"Daozhang." Song Lan murmured.

"What?" Xiao Xingchen tilted his head in confusion.

"Your courtesy name will be Daozhang." Song Lan said in a single breath.

"..."

"I-I am aware that I'm not your Mast-" upon no response, Song Lan started muttering.

"It's beautiful! " Xiao Xingchen cut him off. It was more of title than a name but it was the first he had been given. He was content.

"Daozhang!"  Xiao Xingchen repeated. His silver eyes shined like the flakes of snow. 

The path they took under the clear moon and cool breeze. The two were similar, kept each other at ease. The future in front of him, in shape of the boy, who looked so small but stood so tall. For the first time in his life, Song Lan wanted to abandon all the reasons and drift along the sky. 

Why did you descent the mountain and why did you came to Baixue turned into,

"Thank you for descending the mountain and thank you for coming to Baixue." 

The journey of Fuxue and Shuanghua had just begun. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Xian - path or way , mostly used by monks for immortality.

[Sorry for errors and thank you for reading.]