Chapter 12 - The Brooch

"Where have you been?!" Mabel said, standing up. "Um...Nowher-"Mason was cut off by himself when he coughed up a blonde fairy. They watched it fly away. "Dipper, you can't just run off without telling me! Bed empty, no note, where do I stop!?" Mabel said, pacing. "Stop at the end." Mason said, dryly. "Don't get smart at me!" Mabel yelled, getting in his face. She started ranting, making Mason even more pissed. After about a minute, he said "You know, sometimes I wish you weren't my sister, and it already seems like it. Will's family was closer than ours and they're a bunch of demons!" Mabel took a second to process that comment. "Will...has a family?" She said, cocking her head to the side. "Yeah, well, had a family, but still. They were somehow closer than us." Mason said, still angry but not yelling. "How...How do you know all that?" Mabel asked, approaching him. "I've...been talking to him. A lot." Mason said, looking down. Mabel walked up to him. "Dipper, why have you been talking to Will?" Mabel asked. "Mabel, don't you feel like we've been...lonelyer...lately?" Dipper said, looking her in the eyes. "Wendy went to collage, Soos went on to get a better life, and...J-Jax moved..." Dipper said, hardly able to get the last two words out. Remembering Jax made his heart sink. She was the only girl who truly had wanted to be friends with them. Not because of their looks or fame, but because she liked them. Stan and Ford had tried to shut the friendship down because Jax was not only poor, but a lesbian, and his grunkles were having none of it. Knowing how they had reacted to Jax's sexuality is part of what made Dipper so terrified when he realized he was bi. Mabel sat down on his bed and looked like she was about to say something, but she fell back and fell asleep. "How long were you waiting here?" Mason said, knowing she wouldn't answer. He picked her up and started carrying her out of the door. He dropped her off in her bed and tucked her in. She was his sister, and he loved her, though he didn't say it as much as he should. Dipper walked out and back to his own room, falling asleep almost as fast as she did. 

The next day, Mason was sitting on a bench near lake gravity falls. Gideon was telling him about, I don't know, something about getting kidnapped by female gnomes. Dipper spied something shining azure in the dirt. He turned his head and dug it out. It was a beautiful sapphire brooch with a bit of mud on it. He started walking away, not even listening to what Gideon was saying. Dipper started walking down the street, but Gideon was still following him. "Leave me alone, you dork!" Dipper said, looking over his shoulder. "Mason, I'm tryna tell you-" Gideon said, but Dipper teleported to his room. He wiped the mud off of the brooch and studied it closely. It seemed to glow slightly and it felt like an aura was radiating off of it. "Dipper, I need to borrow the- What's that?" Mabel said, opening the door. "I found this brooch at the lake. I think it's magic." Dipper said, holding it out. She took it, and studied it intently. She took off her headband and pinned the brooch on her dress. "What do you think?" She said, posing. Dipper gave a thumbs up. "If it is magic, we could probably incorporate it into the act. Add some extra zest." She said, rubbing the jewel. She tried to do a simple spell, making non-heating fire appear in her hand, but after a second, the fire turned bright blue. Mabel yelped in pain, and Dipper jumped back in shock. Mira appeared in the mirror and yelled "What is it?! What happened?!"  The fire burst outward, but not as more fire. As pure magic. Dipper felt it. Mabel felt it. The whole town shook. They heard rapid footsteps coming down the hall. Will flung open the door, breathing hard. "What was that?!" He said, running up to them. "Dipper found this brooch, I tried to do a spell with it, and-and it burned me!" Mabel held out her hand. There was a shiny, red burn forming on her palm, and the sight of it made Dipper gag. He tried to heal it, but it only made it scab over quickly, and she yelped when he touched it. "No wonder you lost control, Mistress. This brooch-it-it has demon magic. I can feel it." Will said, pulling the brooch off Mabel and studying it. "What? I didn't even know there were magical accessories besides the amulets!" Dipper said. "Pardon me, master, but jewelry that gives the wearer magical abilities is nothing special to you two, especially where I'm from. My sister had one." Will said. "Wait, hol up-" Mabel said. "Where did you even find this?" Will said, ignoring her. "I found it at the lake, in the mud." Dipper said. "We'll investigate later. I'll help your sister treat her wounds."  Will said, walking out of the room with Mabel. Mason plopped down on his bed, exhausted from the events. He stared at the brooch intently. Who did this belong to? Where did they get it? Is there another magician in Gravity Falls? 

The next day he was just walking through the woods with Mabel again after a show. Will couldn't heal the burn all the way, but it went from third degree to first degree and it didn't sting unless it was touched. She had wrapped it with bandages to avoid alarming the fans during the show after a fan on the street screamed. "Dipper, look." Mabel said, pointing to a flyer.

Have you seen my brooch?

Lost sapphire brooch, gold frame, lost near lake. 

If found, call number below.

At the bottom of the flyer, there was a phone number. Dipper put the the number into his phone and texted them. 

Dipper and Mabel returned to gleeful manor

Dipper and Mabel returned to gleeful manor. They paced around, biding their time, chewing their nails, whatever you do when your nervous. Dipper pulled a pine needle from his hair. "Mabel, what are you reading?" Dipper said, looking over her shoulder. "Astronomy helps me calm down!" Mabel snapped at him. Dipper read; "The big dipper is made of the brightest stars in the Ursa major constellation." Wait a moment... At 8:25 PM they teleported to the parking lot of the Tent of Telepathy, with the brooch in Dipper's pocket. Minutes later, Dipper heard someone approaching them. Gideon stopped next to them, looking winded. "Gideon, what are you doing-." Mabel said, but she saw someone was behind Dipper. Soundlessly. Ghostly. She had neat, brushed out hair down to her shoulders and hypnotizing jade green eyes. She was wearing a silver dress that shined in the moonlight, almost like real silver. "Sonya?" Dipper said, unsure of himself. She looked so neat, so clean, so regal. For a moment, Mason froze. He had never know what it was to be so afraid. Never felt true fear. That had just changed. Sonya actually scared him, and he finally saw what others saw in her. "Mason, I've been tryna tell you, that brooch you found at the lake yesterday belongs to Sonya! It's a gift from her family, you need to give it back!" Gideon said, looking up at him. Of course. Gideon and Pacifica had been over to Sonya's house a hundred times... Dipper turned to Sonya. "You...own a brooch with demon magic." He said, looking upon her with shock and fear. "Correct, Pinetree. My adoptive family gave it to me, when I was young. I am, in fact, human, but I still have natural magic, though only a small amount. You don't have that. You rely on an amulet to use magic, I learned it!" Sonya snapped, her once calm eyes smoldering. "What?!" Mabel said, and Gideon's face matched hers. She brought her voice down, but it only made her words seem more forceful. "Return to me what's mine, or I will take what isn't yours, but you claimed to be." Sonya said. She wretched into her dress pocket, and pulled out two keys on strings. Both keys were blue and glowing, like the shackles they opened. "My brother." She said. Sonya held out her hand. Mason stared. He wretched into his pocket. He dropped the brooch into the redhead's hand. She turned to Mabel. "I should kill you where you stand for your crimes! But...demons pity the insane, and so do I. And you-" She turned back to Dipper. "You were...sorry. I must give you some credit for that." She said. She ruffled Gideon's hair affectionately, then walked away. "I...I need a cupcake." Gideon said, walking away. "Let's go, too." Dipper said, turning to his sister. The bakery cupcakes helped a little. Blake was working as cashier. If Blake was still hungover, he certainly didn't show it, though he still looked like he hadn't slept properly for a while. Mason needed some time to process what had happened. Brooch. Sonya. Magic. Insane.

Will's Little Sister...