23

23 | case one: unsolved

Waking up the very next morning made me feel a little naseous due to the conversation I had last night with my father. I had been tossing and turning in my sleep, evident with my pillows on the door and my blanket halfway across the room. I had also woken up for a little in the middle of the night but proceeded to fall back asleep.

As I crawled out of bed and completed my morning routine, I threw on Asher's oversized sweatshirt that he had left here and put on a pair of shorts. I walked out to find suitcases out on the front porch where Eli and Penelope where embracing each other tightly, whispering words to one another.

I poured myself a cup of coffee and turned around, surprised to find Penelope walking towards me as she pulled me in for a tight hug. She pulled away with a small smile, Cato and Asher talking with each other in the background.

"P and I are heading back home to Washington," Ashlynn announced with a sad smile as she gave me a picture of all of us at the Christmas dinner before Asher and I had disappeared. "If you need anything, you have my number."

I was surprised to find myself a little down to hear that Ashlynn and Penelope we're heading back home because I was just coming around to the idea of having them in my life. I bit my lip and sighed, pulling Penelope into another hug as I embraced her tightly, knowing that I was grateful for everything she has done for me and said to me.

"Thank you for opening my eyes," I whispered quietly to her as Penelope pulled away with wide eyes as if she knew what I was talking about. I nodded to confirm her suspicions, causing her to squeal in delight.

"Well, at least I get to leave knowing I had helped you in someway," she said as she squeezed my arm before turning to Cato, pulling him into an embrace.

Penelope and Eli walked back inside and I could tell Penelope was tryibg really hard not to cry when she approached me and pulled me into a tight embrace. I couldn't help but laughed, also feeling like I was about to cry. Penelope pulled away, shaking her head in amusement as she wiped her tears away before pulling me towards the group.

"It's time to go," Ashlynn announced, tucking her passport inside her purse as she kissed her brother's cheeks. "I will be checking up on all of you every week."

"You should leave before you miss your flight," Cato said in a joking manner but I saw the sadness in his eyes as he hugged Penelope.

"Take care of Evelyn," Ashlynn said, looking at all three of them before emphasising a look at Asher who only rolled his eyes. She turned to me and smiled. "Good luck. I hope to see you soon the next time I visit."

"Stay safe," Penelope added, giving the three of them a knowing look before kissing Eli on the lips. "And update us when you can."

"I'll see you soon babe," Eli promised as he kissed his fiancé again before walking her out of the house where the Uber was waiting for them.

Asher and Ashlynn followed after them while Cato stayed behind, sitting on the stairs as I decided to join him. I judged him with my elbow, raising a brow at him as if to ask him what was wrong.

"I hate goodbyes," Cato whispered, shrugging. "Especially with Penelope and Ashlynn because we only get to see them ever so often. They can't even stay for the actual Christmas holiday and we don't know when the next time we can see them."

I frowned. "Your schedule's a little intense."

He only nodded before staring out the door as I followed his gaze, watching them exchange hugs and kisses on the cheeks before the two women hopped in the Uber, disappearing into the distance. Asher and Eli tucked their hands inside their pockets as they watched the car leave, Eli lingering there for a few moments longer before following Asher back inside.