34

34 | the truth

As I sat across from Jacqueline, I couldn't help but noticed the striking resemblance between Everlace and herself. Jacqueline had presented me photos of her giving birth to us, holding us when we were just babies and DNA tests that proved to us that she was our birth mother.

"ACE," Jacqueline said, acknowledging the men who didn't even bother hiding their shock when they had learnt the truth the same exact moment I had.

"I'm sorry, but are you saying you're the birth mother of these two beautiful women?" Eli questioned, raising a brow as he leaned against the sofa, shaking his head.

Jacqueline nodded.

Everlace squeezed my hand in reassurance as she sent me a soft smile. "Jacqueline helped me fake my death when she had learnt that you have been receiving threats. Truth be told, I knew Hannah wasn't our mom when I had brunch with her and she was a drunken mess, saying something about how she wished she was our real mother."

I glanced over at Jacqueline who was observing me, studying every emotion I revealed before returning my attention to Everlace. "How did Hannah become the person who raised us?"

Jacqueline chuckled, shaking her head in amusement. "Hannah, being the bigger sister that she was, protected me. She took my place as your father's girlfriend -at the time- and had said that I died while giving labour. She knew I was being hunted for solving a case back in 1990 and my past was catching up to me quickly and I had to give you both up so you can both be raised in a better home. I didn't expect her to fall in love with your father and cut our communication years ago."

Jacqueline missed our first everything. She had missed our first steps, our first smiles and laugh and our first words. She wasn't there to see her children grow up, wasn't there to give the infinite love a mother was supposed to give to her child. That was the most torturous one could ever do to a mother.

It was no wonder she hadn't revealed herself to us sooner.

Biting my lip, I rose from my seat and approached Jacqueline who stared at me with confusion before I pulled her into my arms. I felt Jacqueline's shoulder shake as my own throat closed up, tears stinging my eyes as I saw Everlace approach us, joining in the embrace.

A few moments later, Jacqueline pulled away from us before accepting the tissue that Hayden had given her. "I'm sorry but I didn't mean to barge in your lives and I won't stay if you don't want me to. I understand how hard-"

"I need to start cherishing family," I whispered as I slipped one hand in Everlace's and another in Jacqueline's. "Let's start by knowing my real mom."

"Huh, now I see the resemblance," Cato said out loud, deep in thought as he examined the three of us, Asher nodding his head in agreement.

"How come we didn't notice it earlier?" Asher questioned them with a frown.

As the three of them created a conversation between themselves, Jacqueline turned her body to face me, a smile gracing her lips. "Does he make you happy?"

I frowned at her, confused. "Who?"

Jacqueline smiled as she glanced over at Eli who had Cato in a headlock while Asher chuckled at the both of them.

"Asher."

I nodded without hesitation. "Yes."

Jacqueline chuckled. "I was the one who told him to stay away from you. I thought you could do better but I realised that I had no right to interfere with your life like that and besides, Asher deserves you. He's ranked one in our global organisation and sacrificed a lot and I guess letting him love wouldn't be so bad."

I blinked at her as I chuckled, sighing. "I love him."

Everlace gasped beside me as she squealed in delight, shaking me. I laughed as she hugged me tightly, celebrating my joy. "I knew it! Oh, you and Asher are so perfect for each other."

I rolled my eyes at my sister who looked at me with teary eyes. "Why are you going to cry?"

"Because I'm so happy for you," Everlace whispered, wiping her tears away with her finger. "You learnt how to love again. But maybe it's also the dick-"

"Eve!" I exclaimed, cutting her off as she threw her head back and laughed before pulling me close to her again.

Jacqueline smiled at our bond as she rose from the seat, excusing herself and guided the three men inside the security room. Hayden had followed behind, giving Everlace a nod of acknowledgement before disappearing inside, Cato closing the door behind him.

"Are you and Hayden...?"

Everlace shook her head, a sad smile gracing her lips. "We tried but we wanted different things."

I nodded, squeezing her hand before rising from my seat and decided to show her my room. I couldn't believe that my sister was alive and standing beside me as she walked inside my room first and admired it with wide eyes. She jumped on my bed then fell on her back, laughing in the process before patting the small empty space.

"I knew of daddy's secret," I heard Everlace say, making me stiffen as I gulped, turning around to face her. "He was talking about it over the phone on the night you moved out, right before I went out to the club."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

Everlace shrugged. "He was going to hurt you and mom if I left. I know it, daddy is just so...angry and resentful all the time. I just couldn't risk it."

I raised a brow. "And what about Sierra?"

Everlace couldn't answer my question because, by the time she opened her mouth, Asher was knocking on the door. I turned around to face him, my heart fluttering at the sight of him as he informed Everlace that Jacqueline needed to speak to her downstairs.

Everlace nodded and excused herself before Asher cleared his throat, stepping inside my room and closing the door behind him. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist as he chuckled, kissing the top of my head before wrapping his own arms around me.

I slightly pulled away from him as I went on my tiptoes and brought my lips to his own, his arms pulling my waist closer to him. I bit on his lip, causing him to moan as he pinned me against the wall, his hands exploring my body. A slight fire ignited in between my legs when he had moaned but I felt myself rub against his crotch, feeling his hard member struggle to free itself from his suit pants. 

"I'm so hard for you," Asher whispered inside my ear as he moved down to my neck, his hands pushing my ass against him hard, causing me to moan. If he wasn't holding me up, my knee's would've buckled at how sexy he was right now.

"There are people downstairs," I stated the obvious quietly as Asher moaned against my neck, picking me up before moving us to my bed. He gently laid me on my back before he began to unbuckle his belt, smirking in delight. 

"Then I guess you'll have to keep quiet," he said softly before helping me undress, admiring my nakedness underneath him as he reached for a condom in his wallet. 

I rolled my eyes as he chuckled before leaning down and kissed my forehead while pushing himself inside me. I gasped, needing to get used to his big length as he began to move gently at first, making sure I wasn't hurt.