Chapter 7 continuation...

“Wala ba kayong planong mag-honeymoon, anak?”

He raised his head and looked at his mother. “Actually, Ma, I’m trying to fix my schedule right now so that I can take a long break. So that Katrina and I can go somewhere and have our honeymoon. Inaayos ko lang ang mga trabaho sa opisina.”

“Good!” His mother was pleased. “You need to have a honeymoon so that you two can give me a grand kid asap.”

Napangiti siya. “Don’t worry, we’re working on that, Mama…” He glanced at Katrina who was sitting at his side. She was silently eating her meal. Namumula ito.

“Glad to hear that, hijo,” si Minerva. “I’m sure you and Katrina will have beautiful offspring. You’re handsome and she’s pretty. I can’t wait to be a lola already.” Parang nangangarap na wika ng ina niya.

And he just can’t wait to be a father too.

“Anyway, where do you want to go for a honeymoon, hun?” Baling niya sa asawa.

Napapitlag ito. Maya-maya ay napakibit-balikat. “You decide. I won’t mind.”

Napangiti siya. Katrina was so sweet and she also had an easy to get along with personality. Madali itong pakisamahan. And she wasn't the whiny, bitchy kind.

But he knew that she was strong and had a personality of her own. Nakita niya ang personalidad nitong iyon nang unang mang-krus ang mga landas nila. She was a shrewed negotiator and the kind that couldn’t easily be fooled. Siguro ay alam lamang nito na umakto sa tamang lugar. So far, she was cooperative.

“You know, son, your father and I had our honeymoon in Paris and we dined out in the famous Eiffel Tower. It was so romantic there. But you know, there are a lot of beautiful places here in the country too. Batanes is a good choice.”

Napatango-tango siya. He wanted to spend their honeymoon to somewhere where he and Katrina can always make love and spend a lot of private moments together. He wanted to really know her better. He wanted to rent the whole place, or an entire island perhaps just for the two of them. But he wanted to consider her preferences too.

“Do you like Batanes, Kat? Or do you want to go out of the country?” Muling baling niya sa asawa.

“Batanes is great, Xavier. Though I’ve been there already…” Marahang sagot nito.

“Really?” He heard that it was expensive to go to Batanes. One should take a chartered plane and the rent was expensive. But Katrina had been there. Natalo pa siya nito. Well, wala namang problema sa kanya iyon. UNB had a private plane. They can easily fly to Batanes.

“Yes. I’ve been there with some friends about four years ago. And the place was really amazing. I wana go back there someday.”

Napaisip siya.

“I suggest you consider a different place, Xavier, since Katrina had been to Batanes. You go to somewhere she hadn’t been yet.” Ang Mama niya.

And she was right. He still had some days ahead to plan for their honeymoon.

He wanted to take care of the matter personally, and not just leave it to his assistant, or to his event organizer. It was their honeymoon and he wanted it to be special.

“Why don’t you spend your honeymoon in Sunshine Island, Xavier? I can lend you the place for several weeks or even a month. No worries, Pare. Wala namang gumagamit ngayon.”

He looked at Tristan. His friend gave him a great idea. Sunshine Island was a private resort and it was a very beautiful island. Hindi patatalo ang malawak at puting buhanginan nito sa Boracay. And it had modern amenities too and exciting water sports.

He wanted to spend their honeymoon in a place where he and Katrina will have lots of private moments together. And Sunshine Island was a perfect choice.

Buti na lamang at naisipan nitong dumaan sa opisina niya. Ayon kay Tristan ay may inaasikaso daw ito sa building na nasa tabi lang ng UNB at dahil nasa paligid ito ay minabuti nang dumaan sa opisina niya.

He actually gave him the invitation card to his daughter’s christening, which will be Saturday next week.

“And don’t you know that Sunshine Island is a lucky place to make babies?” Tumawa ito. “We had our daughter there. And Lovelle was pregnant right now. Still remember her? They spend their honeymoon in the island too.”

“Really?” His curiosity was piqued. Iyon ang gusto niya. Ang makapag-honeymoon sa isang lugar kung saan makakagawa sila ng baby ni Katrina.

“Yep,” Tristan answered indignantly. “You can prove it yourself.” Malapad ang ngisi nito. “And the best thing here is, it’s for free. You don’t have to think about your splurges that’s why you can only focus your energy in making a baby.”

“Fuck you, buddy! I’m not dirt poor!” Pero natawa na rin siya.

Well, he can rent the island if he wanted but he knew that Tristan won’t accept the money. Aside from Kiehl, Tristan was one of the most generous among his peers.

“Thanks, buddy.” He said when his laughter subsided.

“So when are you going to use the island?”

“Maybe after Deanna’s Christening. I’m not sure though. I’m still fixing my schedule so that I can go on leave for the honeymoon,” seryosong sagot niya.

“Okay,” napakibit-balikat si Tristan. “I’ll tell the caretaker about your impending visit.” Tumayo na ito.

“Thanks a lot, Tristan.” Tumayo na rin siya.

“You’re welcome, Xavier. I just wish you good luck, Pare.” He checked his watch. “Okay, I have to go now. See you next week at Deanna’s Christening Party.”

“Okay, Pare. Pupunta kami ni Katrina, of course.”

Iyon lang at umalis na si Tristan. Inihatid niya ito hanggang sa labas ng kanyang opisina.

Abala siya sa binabasang papeles nang tumunog ang cellphone niya. She saw the name Katrina flashing on the screen and he immediately answered the call.

“Katrina?”

“Xavier…” Her voice was full of worries.

“What happened, hun?” Kaagad na tanong niya.

“We’re here in the hospital right now. Sumama ang pakiramdam ni Mama kanina kaya dinala na namin sa hospital.” Pagpapalam nito.

“Where is she confined?”

“Makati Med,” she answered.

“Okay, I’ll be there in a few. See you…” He ended the call and went out of his office. “Chona…” Tinawag niya ang assistant niya.

“Yes, sir?” Kaagad naman itong lumapit.

“Please take care of this…” Ibinigay niya rito ang hawak na papeles niya. “My mother was rushed to the hospital and I’ll be there. Cancel all my appointments this afternoon, okay?”

“Okay, Sir,” kaagad na sagot nito pagkatapos tanggapin ang ibinigay niya.

“Good! Make sure to study that,” he was referring to the documents, “I’ll ask you about it first thing in the morning tomorrow.”

“Yes, Sir,” sagot nito habang pinasadahan ng tingin ang papeles.

“Okay, I’ll go now.”

“Yes, Sir…” She opened the door for him. 

Habang papunta sa elevator ay tinawagan niya ang personal driver niya at sinabihang aalis sila. The moment he came out of the building, his car was already waiting for him in the entrace of the building.