Project Partners (Part 1)

A/N Chapter image created by me!

It's a rainy day outside on a day in April at Fairae High School. Courtney walks in to her physics class and sits her things down at her desk. It's one of the most annoying classes Courtney has. A boy named Duncan was in it and he always had a crush on her. Courtney thought he was the most annoying and rebellious person.

A few minutes later, Duncan walks in and gives Geoff a fist bump. "What's up man?" Geoff says.

Courtney rolled her eyes and paid attention to her worksheet she didn't finish. Once Geoff and Duncan stopped talking, she could see Duncan staring at her in the corner of her eye.

When will he leave me alone, Courtney thought. She tried to ignore him, but he wouldn't stop. She looked up at him for a second. He had his chin resting on his arm on the desk and was smiling at her. When he saw her looking at him, he blinked and and looked away. Courtney crossed her arms and then looked to where Gwen was walking in the class, so she started to smile.

"Hey Gwen!" Courtney said as she smiled at Gwen.

"Hey," Gwen replied. She walked over to Courtney, resting her hands on Courtney's desk. "What's up?"

They both talk for a little while until the bell rings and Gwen goes to sit down at her desk, which is close to Duncan's.

"Good morning, class," the teacher says. Everyone listens to her instructions on the first assignment, but Duncan stares at Courtney again.

Gwen turns to Duncan. "Psst, Duncan?" Gwen whispers. Duncan turns to her.

"Yea?" Duncan replies.

"Why do you keep staring at her?" Gwen asks, raising one eyebrow. Duncan's eyes widen.

"Oh, uhhhh, no it's just there's a little piece of white fluff stuck in her hair and it's funny," Duncan laughs off. Gwen raises both eyebrows, trying to get Duncan to spill it.

He sighs. "She's pretty, okay. There," Duncan mumbles, rolling his eyes. She smiles.

They all pay attention to the teacher.

"So we will be doing a project. You need to make a box out of a tissue box that will hold an egg from cracking from tall heights," the teacher said. "Each person will need one partner. Not three, not one."

A/N: I got this idea from my physics class last year, we did the same project but with 3 partners, haha.

Duncan crossed his arms and sniffed.

Gwen was starting to feel sick. Her hands were sweating and she got a little pale.

Duncan looked at Courtney out of the corner of his eye. She was paying attention to the teacher and fiddling with her pencil. He started to stare at her again.

The teacher explains all the rules of the project and hands out the papers. She stops and sees Gwen looking a little more pale than she usually is. "You okay, Gwen? You look pale," the teacher says.

"Uh, no, I feel like I'm gonna throw up," Gwen mumbles.

"You should go see the nurse, let me write you a pass," the teacher stated. She wrote Gwen a pass and gave her it. Gwen stood up slowly and left the classroom.

The teacher got back to the project.

"Alright, go look for a partner!" the teacher exclaims, clapping once. She sits down at her desk. Everyone stands up and looks for a partner. They immediately walk over to their friend, but leaving people without friends in the class with no parter. Courtney looked around and continued to sit at her desk. I'm going to partner up with Gwen, I'm just waiting until she gets back, Courtney thinks. She crosses her arms, sitting back in her chair.

Geoff walks to Duncan. "Parters?" he asks. Duncan nods.

"Sure," he replies. They get their paper and write their name on the paper.

Courtney writes her name on the project paper and writes Gwen under 'partner's name'. The teacher walks over to Courtney. "Hey, if you were thinking to partner with Gwen, since I know you guys talk, sorry but you can't be partners with her. We only have two class periods to do this project and she won't be here most likely the rest of the day today and next class," the teacher states. Courtney's eyes widen.

"Seriously?!" Courtney protests. "Who am I supposed to be partners with then? I don't talk to anyone else in this class."

"You can meet a new friend today then!" the teacher cheers. "Find anyone."

Courtney's eyes narrow and she crosses her arms as the teacher walks away. She puts her arm on the desk and hold up her head with her head. She stares at the desk and starts doodling on her paper. She still has Gwen's name written on the paper.

The teacher decides to go out and tell, saying, "Gwen won't be participating in the project since we have a way too little time frame for the project. So you don't have to worry about her being anyone's partner." Courtney gets angrier. She decides to stop listening to the teacher. She continues resting her head on her arm.

The teacher walks around checking on the students. Then she walks over to Geoff and Duncan. "Sorry, but this won't work. You two together never get things done," the teacher adds. Duncan crossed his arms.

Before Duncan says anything, Geoff steps in and says, "We will get this project done together. It's pretty fun anyways. Don't worry." The teacher didn't care.

"No, you guys have to find a new partner," the teacher declares. "Sorry."

"Man, she doesn't let us do anything," Geoff whines. He ended up having to go with a boy who didn't have a partner named DJ. Duncan looked around, not finding anyone who didn't have a partner.

"Sorry, Mrs. Greene. Everyone already has a partner. I guess I can't do the proj--," Duncan says, but then sees Courtney is sitting on her own with no partner. She can't be partners with Gwen, so who will she be with? Duncan thinks, smirking to himself.

Duncan walks over to Courtney, who's still mad at the teacher. He puts his arms behind his back. "Need a partner?" he asked smoothly. Courtney didn't answer and didn't even look up. "Look, you're gonna need a partner."

"Not with you," Courtney finally spoke, still looking at her desk while doodling.

Duncan looks around the whole classroom. "Well if I'm not mistaken, everyone has a partner except me and you," he stated. Courtney rolled her eyes. She looked at him who was smiling back at her. She rolled her eyes. She looked around the room, seeing that everyone had a partner.

"By now, everyone should've picked their partner!" the teacher said loudly. Courtney glared at the teacher. Stfu, Courtney mumbled to herself towards the teacher. She looked back at her desk.

"We gotta be partners, Princess," he says quietly.

"Fine!" Courtney yells. "And don't call me Princess."

Duncan smiles. He writes his name on the project sheet and puts Courtney's name on he project name's line. Courtney doesn't bother to change Gwen's name to Duncan on her sheet.

"So umm..." Duncan mumbled, scratching the back on his head. "I don't know what we're supposed to do. I wasn't paying attention."

Courtney rolled her eyes. "Of course you don't," she said.