6 - Eban

Darkness, soft and protective with its embrace, closed around the quartet as they left the village of Lakeside. Barkon lay a several hours away, but, though they were eager to leave Lakeside and its troubles behind, their going was slow. Callum set the pace with Eban at his side, ready to act if the exhausted man finally reached the last of his strength. Eban watched him carefully, looking for the warning signs, but Callum was clearly tougher than he looked, and, although his steps were slow and his words were few, they never faltered.

Ahead, Arran walked, keeping watch for any other travellers on the road. Cedric, ever restless, moved between the two groups, sometimes keeping Arran company, sometimes coming to offer words of encouragement to Callum. More often, though, he ranged to the sides of the group, investigating anything that caught his interest, often falling behind as he stayed to finish his study. Eban had once overhead Cedric's mother, Beth, say that the inn had no need for pets, because Cedric was as close to a dog as it was possible for a human child to be. Eban had never mentioned the exchange to his friend, but in the privacy of his own mind he tended to agree.

By the time the first sign for Barkon appeared, the sun was hanging low in the sky. Callum's pace quickened, making Eban work to keep up with the older, taller man. Eban was glad to see an end for Callum's journey, but he had concerns. Barkon was not a good place to remake a life. The community was too small to welcome a newcomer easily, especially one who came with no possessions and no obvious trade. More worryingly, Barkon lay close to Lakeside and on the main road through this part of the country. It was just a matter of time before someone came through and recognised Callum, and once they did, they would make sure that the second trial went according to plan. Callum needed a long term plan and he needed one soon.

Glimpses of candle light seeping through worn wooden shutters greeted them with the approaching dusk, and as they reached the first houses of Barkon, Callum left them to seek out his cousin. Eban, Cedric and Arran continued on, making their way to the town's one and only inn where, despite the hour, they were able to rent a room without any difficulty. These days, the only people who travelled were either wealthy enough to sneer at the offerings of The Scribe, or were too poor to even consider entering.

They were greeted cautiously, until Arran pulled out the bag of coins he had received from his father's customer in Lakeside. After that, the innkeep himself took the three boys up to their room, giving them a run down on food and washing options. Eban left Cedric to deal with that conversation. He was more interested in examining the inn, and its inhabitants, for himself. The Scribe was comfortable enough, with rooms and bedding that were clean, if old, and food that tasted far better than anyone who saw the ingredients could have guessed. It was a place that rarely turned a profit but which was clearly loved by its owners. Even Cedric, who had grown up in an inn, could not find much to fault them for. The clientele were similarly kept; while their clothes were old and much mended, they were, for the most part, clean. They watched the three newcomers with equal parts curiosity and wariness, and, when the boys found a table in the common room, they were generally ignored. Which, as far as Eban was concerned, was perfect.

They spoke little as they waited for their food to come. The common room was warm and they were tired, and they were all grateful for a few minutes of peace.

Eban's mind roamed, still looking for an answer to Callum's predicament. There has to be something.

"Do you think they'll give me the recipe?"

Cedric's voice broke him from his thoughts. Slightly chagrined, Eban realised that their food had arrived without him noticing. He reached up, pinching the bridge of his nose. He needed to get more sleep.

"Excuse me?" Arran's nose wrinkled in disgust at the sight of the food in Cedric's mouth.

"The recipe. Do you think I can get it? Mom would love this."

Arran shrugged. "Perhaps. If you don't tell them that you're planning on using it yourself."

"You ironsmiths are so selfish, you know," Cedric grumbled. "Just because none of you would consider sharing your knowledge doesn't mean every trade is the same. We innkeepers are very sociable."

"That's just because none of you know how to keep a secret."

"Ha! Like you're one to talk, Mr Have-You-Heard-About..."

"That was one time, Cedric."

"One time last month, perhaps."

"Eban..."

"Oh no," Eban said, hands raised, "I'm not getting involved. The last time I took a side, you didn't speak to me for a week."

Cedric grinned. "You're just lucky I broke my arm. I was resolved to make you suffer for much longer."

"And remind us how you broke your arm, Ric?" Arran asked, too sweetly.

Cedric shrugged. "Jon had his reasons, I'm sure."

Eban shook his head, fighting to hide a smile. "We both know that you told Rosa that Jon was seeing someone else, and that was why he cornered you."

"You have to admit you've lost this one, Ric," Arran said.

"Never," Cedric grinned. The smile faded as his eyes focused on something behind Arran. "Callum's back."

Eban followed Cedric's gaze while Arran turned shamelessly to see for himself.

"That was quick," Arran muttered. "Do you think everything's alright?"

"He doesn't look pleased," Eban said softly. Cedric nodded in agreement.

They watched as Callum finished speaking with the welcoming innkeep and headed towards them.

"You're back sooner than we expected," Eban said as Callum placed himself alongside Arran. "Is everything alright?"

Callum shrugged. "My cousin was happy to see me. Her husband was less so."

"We're sorry," Arran said.

Callum shook his head, lips tight with a forced smile. "Don't be." He sighed. "There's a recruitment drive in Sixstreams at the moment. I think it would be best if I head there tomorrow."

"You want to join the army?" Cedric asked.

Callum shrugged again. "The pay's okay and it'll give me somewhere to go and something to do. There are worse things."
Eban considered him. What Callum said made sense, but the thought of him putting his life in the hands of a recruiter, of becoming just one more soldier, nothing more than another tick in the recruiter's count, was awful. But Callum had just given Eban the answer he was searching for.

"If you're serious about joining the army, there's a better way than through a recruiter."

Callum turned to him. "What do you mean?"

Eban breathed in deeply. Too late to change his mind now. Besides, he knew that this was right.

"I have a friend in the Royal Guard. If you go to him, he'll be able to find you a place that will better suit your abilities and make sure you are treated fairly. At this time of year, he should still be at Tir Brenin, but you'll have to travel quickly."

Callum stared at him. "I... How do you know someone in the Royal Guard?"

Eban shrugged. "My mother's treated him a couple of times."

Eban paused, not sure whether to say more. It was the truth, if not the whole truth, but Eban thought it better to keep the details of that truth to himself. No doubt Callum would figure it out for himself soon enough.

"If you ask, he'll help."

Callum swallowed and nodded. "You've already saved my life. It feels wrong to ask anything more of you, but I would be a fool to say no to your offer."

Eban smiled. "Then it's settled. Tonight, we sleep. I think we all need it. At dawn, you will leave for Tir Brenin. When you reach the palace, ask for Nathan Foxby. Don't tell anyone else your story, but you can trust him."