20 - Eban

Tir Brenin rose above the growing encampment, its wall dark and forbidding against the mass of storm clouds that raged above. At the foot of the walls, beyond the worn land marked out for the markets and animal pens, a forest of tents struggled against tearing winds.

Suppressing the urge to create a shield against the icy blasts of rain, Eban pulled his cloak more tightly around him and turned back to watch the road.

It was, like it had been for the past three hours, empty.

Eban glanced around. There were other sentries keeping watch, but all had their cloaks tightly wrapped against the weather, and all were facing outwards. Briefly, he considered placing a shield around each of them. It would keep out the rain, and that way no one would know exactly who was responsible.

Sure, that's a brilliant idea, Arran's voice sounded in his mind. May as well place a shield over the whole camp too, while you're at it. Over all of Tir Brenin too. That wouldn't raise suspicions. Eban laughed to himself. Arran, whether here or not, was always right. No point in arguing.

Eban turned again, studying Tir Brenin. Could I shield the whole city?

He could see it in his mind's eye, glimmering faintly as light refracted slightly over its surface, sparkling with the rain drops that bounced from the barrier. Eban could feel the power within him surge as he weighed how much energy it would cost him. A shield was easy enough to create. All you had to do was bring the atoms of the air closer together and hold them there. The difficulty came with projectiles. It was the continuous and immediate repair work that demanded the energy that made a shield difficult to maintain. Rain, as miserable as it was, was hardly cannon fire.

A shout broke his reverie. Eban turned towards the sound to see the stationed sentry gesturing to the road. Whatever he saw was just beyond Eban's own line of vision, but he heard the man's call.

"Eban, there's a rider approaching. I'm going to meet them. Hold the line."

"Yes, sir!" Eban called, adding a gesture of acknowledgement as well to ensure his answer was heard.

The soldier ran in the opposite direction, disappearing into the shadows of a predawn storm.

Minutes later, Eban saw the man reappear, this time running back towards camp.

Now, that's interesting.

Whatever was happening was serious. Eban was certain of that when, minutes after the sentry had disappeared into the camp, he reappeared with two new figures in tow. The sentry separated from the small group, running back to his post.

The other two ran straight for Eban.

As they reached him, Eban recognised Arran and Corporal Kerr.

"Eban," Kerr said, "You're needed. Arran will take over your watch."

Eban shared a glance with Arran, hoping his friend would have something to share, but Arran looked as confused as Eban.

"Now, Eban," Kerr said. The corporal was stepping backwards, clearly eager to be on his way, but needing to be sure that Eban was following.

"Yes, sir."

Eban ran after Kerr, keeping an arm up to protect his eyes from the rain. A rider hailed them, turned his mount, and headed towards the road. Eban and Kerr followed.

The riders appeared suddenly, too suddenly to be explained by storm or predawn light, and Eban sensed the magical barrier as they passed through.