28 - Epilogue

The reflection in the glass shimmered, blue streak of lights spiralling out from its centre, faster and faster until, in silent explosion, they disappeared off the edges of the table. The reflection stilled, revealing, for the first time in a long time, the images of the two who stood above it. One, male, bore the brown hair common to Ferann, but both his hair and clothes were of a style long gone from the country. The other had opted for dark hair, like that of many Agaithians. She was firmly rooted in modern Agaithian fashion, with a wardrobe of severe dark wool that would have settled her into the Agaithian court nicely, if she arrived in the depths of winter. Otherwise, as is the way with twins, their features were identical. That was the only consistent thing about them. The Fates could appear in any way they chose, so long as they were the other's mirror.

"Well," Kader said, pulling some imaginary lint from her spotless outfit, "it looks like things are finally getting interesting."

"Why are you always so eager for things to be interesting?" Madoc rolled his shoulders, stretching his back and neck. Their latest little game had been years in the making. Only now was it starting to bear fruit.

"Would you really prefer boring?"

Madoc sighed. He nodded down, indicating the reflection that no longer marred the table. "What do you think he'll do?"

Kader shrugged. "I've a few options in mind. As," she smiled, "I'm sure you do too."

"Of course. And Síoch?"

"That bitch will keep her nose out of it this time, if she's got any sense."

"She never has before."

Kader groaned.

Madoc grinned at his mirror's distress. "But then," he added, "she's never succeeded before. There's no reason to think she'll do any better this time."

Kader nodded, smiling again. She leaned forward, palms resting on either edge of the table. The glass swirled again, to reveal two figures. Eban and Marika stood frozen, shock and disbelief drawn deep into their features.

"True. And her pawn seems as useless in this life as in any other." Kader looked back up, meeting Madoc's eyes. "So, we continue the game?"

Madoc smirked. "And raise the stakes."

"Of course."