12 - Callum

If there's anything in this world worse than spear drills, even the gods must fear it.

"Step forwards. Backwards. Stay together! You, new guy, keep your spear up. Watch your neighbour!"

Every order was barked at a volume that was impossible to ignore, though that would be a bad idea. If Callum did not know better, he would have sworn that Lord Merrot amplified his voice with magic in order to give it such excessive volume. But he felt no magic in it.

At least there's some grace to sword-fighting. We all just look like drunken dancing porcupines.

Grimacing, Callum stepped forward once, twice and then, with a shout that was lost in the screams of his neighbours, thrust the spear forward.

Well, Lord Merrot might disagree, but I'm confident I got my enemy there. Now, if they all stay imaginary, we can end this war in no time.

Their drill done, Callum joined the queue waiting for water. That was one unexpected luxury of the palace. Having healers on hand all day, every day, meant that someone was always around to keep an eye on water supplies and disinfect them when necessary. It was definitely a step up from the watered beer or wine he was used to.

"Not bad, for a newbie."

Callum turned to source the voice. A woman, wearing plain breeches and a stained shirt, both of which had clearly seen too much wear, stood watching him. Hazel eyes, creased in amusement, waited for a response.

"I'm not sure Lord Merrot would agree with you, my lady." Callum had very quickly learned that the safest way to address an unknown member of the Royal Guard was to use their title. Whatever they had been before swearing service to the king, all Royal Guard were landowners - it was part of their payment and reward for their service. Dressed as she was, Callum doubted this woman was one of the courtiers or maids of the palace, which left Royal Guard as a safe bet.

The woman's mouth twitched. "Oh, Merrot's hard on everyone," she said. "Those who've had previous training draw special attention."

"You can tell?"

She laughed. "Believe me, even prodigies of weapon's craft do not have your skill on their third day of training. I assume you're from one of the border towns?"

Callum nodded. "Perrant in Serral, originally. More recently from Lakeside."

The woman nodded, her smile fading as she considered him. "Perrant explains the training. They would have taken the royal decree seriously, being so close to the border."

Callum nodded.

"Ada tells me you're to join her unit."

There was no question in her tone but, not wanting to give no reaction, Callum nodded.

Say something. If you keep nodding like this either she's going to get bored, or your head is going to fall off.

"I believe so. Ada mentioned that her company is a little different to the others, but I haven't had a chance to speak with her since. Do you have any idea what she meant?"

The woman frowned. "I do, but I am one of only a handful who knows Ada's main mission. I would wait for her to answer that question, if I were you."

"Ash!"

Callum turned at the shout to see a man, dressed in all the finery of the court, gesturing at them.

"I'd better go," the woman, Ash, said. "I'll send Ada to you. In the meantime, keep practicing, Callum. You don't have long left here."