17 - Callum

The monotony of the march was not as disappointing as Callum had expected. For one thing, he had never been in the company of so many Wild mages. In the twenty-three years of his life, Callum had only known three other Wild mages. Since his introduction to Ada's company and the start of the journey, he had added twenty-nine more names to that list.

It was strange. Despite the hardships of the march and the nights spent with only a piece of canvas to protect him from the spring rains that were making themselves felt, Callum felt happy. It was good to have a purpose again, even if that was war. It was good to have food and respect and a place to sleep in the relative safety of their camp. More than anything, it was good, for the first time in his life, to be able to truly be himself without fearing the judgement of his companions.

For another thing, Ash had joined them four days into their march. She was accompanied by a man, Lachlan, whom Callum recognised from the day she had spoken to him at the training grounds. Callum had been disappointed to learn that their relationship was close. He could not say exactly how close, as no one had answered his questions among the soldiers he walked with, and it seemed rather inappropriate to ask Ash herself.

In the day since they had arrived, Ash, Ada and Lachlan had ridden together and spoke softly almost non-stop. Something had happened after Ada's company had left Tir Brenin, something that had caused Ash and friend to come riding out after them, but neither Ada nor Ash was willing to say anything. Whatever it was, it had to have been big. It had dominated the conversation at the campfire the night before, and, with a new dusk drawing near, Callum's neighbours on the march were still swopping theories.

"Something must have happened on the border," said Rhona. "Something went wrong."

Those close enough to hear exchanged glances. Rhona was one of the longest serving members of Ada's troop. If anyone could guess what was going on, it was she.

"How can you be so sure it's bad news?" Callum asked. "Perhaps something went right for a change."

Rhona shook her head, "If it went right, there's no way Ash would be heading to the borders again so soon. It went wrong, and Adair decided to send Lord Foxby some help."

Those around nodded their agreement at Rhona's reasoning.

"But surely Cameron would be a better back up? I mean, I'm sure Lady Ash is great, but the Captain of the Royal Guard would be able to offer more support," said Callum, frowning.

Those around him glanced at one another, confusion slipping quickly into amusement. Sharing their glances, Rhona cleared her throat awkwardly. "Callum, Ash isn't just another member of the Royal Guard." She hesitated, her expression making it clear that she was hoping someone else would take over the explanation When no one did, she continued. "We all call her Ash, because honestly addressing her formally when she fights so often alongside us feels strange, but her true name is Aislinn. She's King Adair's daughter and heir."

Callum stared. "Ash is the Crown Princess? Fates be saved, why didn't anyone tell me? Do you know how many stupid things I've said to her?" In hindsight, it made sense. Even Ada spoke to her with respect, more respect than you would normally show someone of the same rank. And Ash had shown no interest in following any of Ada's orders. When she did, it almost felt like it was an acquiescence, more than anything else. And it explained why the others had always seemed so amused when he talked about her.

Damn the Fates, how could I have been so blind.

"Don't worry about it, lad," said Rhona, patting Callum's shoulder awkwardly, "it's an easy mistake to make. Ash certainly doesn't look like anyone's idea of a princess."