Speed and Spyke

I was making the bed in the new room for Ororo's nephew, I sighed.

I have a feeling he won't be happy to be here... no one wishes to be born a certain way for a reason.

Suddenly Kurt appeared hanging off of the ceiling, causing me to jump.

"Oh Jesus", I almost fell over but Kurt caught me in time.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you" he apologised.

"It's alright, just honk before you port next time", I winked at him and sat down in front of him.

"What are you doing?" He asked, still hanging off of the light.

"Just sorting out the room for Ororo's nephew" I replied looking up at him.

"Why would you do that?" He asked curiously.

"Why not" I exclaimed, playing with the ends of his hair.

"He should be here soon" he stated with a smile.

"What are you doing here Kurt?", I asked, "did you want to come and help me?".

"I actually did", he rubbed the back of his head with an embarrassed smile.

I beamed, "that's thoughtful of you, but I'm already done".

He looked around the room the best he could from his position and put two thumbs up, "It looks great".

"Thanks", I pushed a piece of hair behind my ear.

I heard the car pull up, "that must be the hedgehog himself".

Kurt and I headed down to greet our new recruit and possible friend, Evan Daniels.
He didn't look too happy and I don't blame him, he was walking up the steps with his bag in hand.

"Hi Evan, my name's Zoe" I started with a smile.

"And I'm Kurt" Kurt finished, waving friendly.

Evan stopped in front of us and looked at me then Kurt as if analysing us for some reason, until he spoke.

"Are you together or something?" He asked, bluntly.

It took a minute for Kurt and I to realise what he asked and then it hit us as we both turned red and speechless. I noticed Uncle Charles and Ororo smiling and trying not to laugh at our reactions. We looked at each other and I covered by mouth with my hand as I looked away from the fuzzy elf as I tried to conjure my words out of my mouth to answer Evan.

"N-no w-we're not we just really g-good f-friends".

"Are you sure? You look like a couple" Evan said again.

I played with a strand of hair nervously as I tried to calm down as I thought back to when someone said the same thing at school about me and someone else... I was teased about it for weeks over it.

I don't like this...

"No!", I cried, "we're not, just get over it!".

"Zoe...", Kurt looked at me concerned and confused.

I didn't look at the fuzzy elf as much as I dared, I noticed Uncle Charles and Ororo looking equally concerned and sighed.

"I'll show you to your room" I said coldly.

"Right..." Evan replied.

I continued to play with my hair as I quickly walked away from Kurt and hurried to guide Evan to his room, I've never felt so embarrassed before... Well maybe one time.
I showed Evan his room and said breakfast is at seven, but I'd leave some food for him tomorrow if he woke up later.