EPISODE ONE / sight

i'm not sure what made me decide to name these chapters after the five senses but i think it's a cool idea??? hopefully lol

-

"Juli...come on, wake up, please!"

She shifted. The moment she realized she couldn't separate her wrists, her eyes shot open. She bolted upright and let out a groan of pain. Her vision in her left eye was fuzzy and she could feel dried blood on her face.

"Sean!"

He nodded. Through her good eye, she could see that his nose was bleeding and he had a bruise on his face. "That asshole, he tied us up in here and called the cops on us," he explained in a hushed voice. "We need to get out of here, fast."

Juli nodded. She looked around with Sean for anything she could use to get them free. Finally, she spotted her backpack. She had no doubt that her pocket knife would be in there; if only she could just reach it...

"Sean? Juli?"

They both stared at the vent. "Daniel!" Sean breathed. "Enano, can you hear me? Are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah," Daniel said. His voice was distorted from the rain and the vent, but Juli had never been happier to hear a kid in her entire life. "That old guy chased me into the woods. But I think I lost him. Is he gone? I'm really, really scared."

"You're doing just fine, wolf boy," Juli said, trying to keep her voice from shaking. "They're not going to know what hit them."

"Juli!" Daniel exclaimed. "Are you guys okay?"

They glanced at each other. There was no point in scaring him more than he already was. "We'll be fine once we get out of here," Sean said. "Thanks to you, we have a chance of getting out of here."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." Sean struggled to a crouching position, still facing the wall. "We gotta hurry, though. He called the cops on us."

Juli looked around the room. She never realized how lucky she was to have two eyes until one of them got damaged from some dude deciding he was, in fact, "The Law." She kept on having to correct herself by turning her head so she could see with her right eye. However, she did spot some keys on the wall next to the exit. If she could get to her backpack and cut through the zip ties, then they could grab the keys and run.

She kicked out with her legs to reach the strap of her backpack. As she tried, Sean leaned to the vent. "Okay, Daniel? I see some keys. But I can't reach them...Maybe I can get them if I can pry this pipe off the wall. Can you find me some kind of...tool out there?"

"I don't know where one is!" Daniel sounded about as scared and frustrated as Juli felt. She could feel the strap of her backpack brushing against her foot every time she kicked out, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get to it.

"Find me something sturdy," Sean elaborated, "like a...screwdriver, or a wrench...anything!"

"But...where can I find one?" Daniel demanded.

"Enano, I can't really see much from where I am. There should be some tools nearby," Sean pleaded.

"Okay, okay, I'm looking!"

She looked to Sean. "Hey, chingu, can you do something for me?"

Sean turned away from the wall. "Yeah?"

She gestured to her backpack as best she could. "I have my pocket knife in there. If we can just get to it, then..."

Sean sat on his side and kicked out with his legs. He managed to hook onto the strap with his foot, but when he tried to yank it toward them, the contents spilled out. "Fuck me!" Juli whispered as she saw her pocket knife fall to the floor, far from their reach.