EPISODE FIVE / ENDING 1 / sun

The moment the border between the United States and Mexico came into view, Juli slumped in her seat and held her head in her hands. She ran her hands down her face and looked up to see police cars surrounding the entrance into Mexico.

"Shit," Sean said. They pulled to a stop a few yards away. Sean's fingers turned white around the steering wheel again, his body tense.

Daniel leaned forward and grabbed the backs of their seats. "Guys...what are we gonna do?"

A woman came out from one of the cars and pulled out a megaphone. Officers stood around her with their guns drawn and pointed at their truck. "Sean...Sean Diaz! It's over! Don't make this worse! Get out of the car...SLOW...with your hands above your head! Do EXACTLY what I say!"

Sean reached over and grabbed the keys. His hand shook as he turned the engine off and rested his forehead against the steering wheel. He let out a little sigh. Juli had never seen him look so tired and defeated before.

He leaned back into his chair and turned to face Daniel. His voice trembled as he said, "You know, that day...in Seattle...The day Dad was shot. I think about it every day....and I would give anything to change what happened...but I can't. I'm sorry for my mistakes...Juli and I tried our best, I swear." 

Tears welled and dripped down Sean's face. There was an odd, twisted beauty about this whole thing.

"Sean," Daniel murmured, at a loss for words. Police cars drove up behind them and blocked the road. Juli felt her heart sink to her feet. She could feel her pulse in her fingers. Whatever they did now, there was no turning back.

"I'm so proud of you, enano...just like Dad would be," Sean continued. "We learned a lot together...but you can make your own rules now. If we surrender, they will separate us, Daniel. And if that happens, promise me that...You will always do the right thing, okay? Don't waste your power...Be smart...like you already are."

Daniel started to cry. "I don't wanna be separated!"

In front of them, the woman pleaded for them to get out of the car. Juli couldn't make out any details, but she knew what the uniform represented. Just like Dad had taken her case, another officer must have taken Sean and Daniel's.

"Whatever happens...always remember that you're Daniel Diaz," Sean finished.

"I promise, Sean." Sean reached for him and the two brothers hugged.

Sean turned to Juli and reached for her hands. "Juli, I...know that things have been super fucking weird between us lately. But no matter what happens, I will never regret having run into you that day in the park. You have been an absolute saving grace and...and I'm so grateful for your help." 

He squeezed her hands tightly. Juli watched him and tried to keep from ugly crying. "I love you, cariño, and if we surrender, I know we're both going to be incarcerated for a long time. But if you get out before me...take care of Daniel, okay?"

Fuck that. Juli hiccuped through the tears and nodded. "Of course. You and Daniel are the best things that ever happened to me. I love both of you so goddamn much and no matter what happens, you two will always be my true family." She freed her prosthetic hand from Sean's grip and reached over for Daniel. "I love you, wolf boy."

She felt Daniel shaking as she pressed a kiss to the top of his head. "I love you too," he cried.

She turned back to Sean. "I'm glad I decided to trust you instead of running. The past eight months have been one hella scary journey, but I don't regret anything that happened." She leaned forward and pressed her lips against Sean, trying to dedicate the memory of his taste and touch to mind...just in case. They pulled away.