EPISODE FOUR / home

The blast of cold air as they entered the church was nothing compared to the sight in front of them. An older woman with braided hair that Juli could only imagine was Lisbeth stood in front of a kneeling Daniel, who sported a bowl haircut. Candles floated around them and Lisbeth held a hand on Daniel's forehead.

"O Lord, let your power speak through this young vessel!" Lisbeth cried. "I am your humble servant and will obey your every command!"

Karen murmured something to Sean, her expression aghast. All Juli could focus on at that moment, though, was the fact that Daniel truly did look like he was at peace and at home.

"Speak to me...Speak!"

Juli couldn't take it any longer. "D-Daniel!"

Daniel looked over. His eyes widened, and although the candles continued to float around his head, he looked as though he would lose concentration any second. "Juli...You're alive! You came back!"

"Yeah, enano, we both did," Sean said as he approached the Reverend and her disciple with Karen and Juli at his side. "Little cub..."

Lisbeth's face hardened. Daniel stood up hastily and used his power to put the candles back on the altar. He turned to face them. Even though it had only been two months since she last saw him, he already looked so much older than he should have been.

"Come with us, Daniel," Sean said. "We're leaving."

Daniel shook his head. "I'm sorry, guys. I can't."

Sean scoffed. "She's full of shit, dude! And she's using you!"

Lisbeth stood next to Daniel and wrapped a protective arm around his shoulders...at least, that's what it looked like. To Juli, it looked more like she was preventing him from leaving. "Daniel has made his choice, Sean. But I'm offering you...and your friend to join us again. Put your faith in me, and you'll be family."

"Forget being full of shit, you're the entire pig pen," Juli spat. "Daniel. This isn't what religion is about. Religion is about protecting and nurturing, not using someone against their will for what a so-called mouthpiece of God wants!"

"And we're never joining you," Sean said.

Lisbeth drew back her hand. Juli could see the poorly hidden triumph on her face. "So that's your final decision. May the Lord have mercy on your lost soul. It's time for you to leave our sanctuary...Right. Now."

"Not without my brother," Sean said.

"I'm not going anywhere!" Daniel exclaimed. "This is my home...She's my family now!"

Karen stepped forward. "Daniel, listen! She's not your family."

Daniel glared at Karen, his expression contorted with suspicion. "Guys, who is she?"

Sean looked at Karen and back at Daniel. "Our mother." Daniel let out a noise of disbelief. "She came here for you."

"O' praise the Lord, another miracle at our church!" Juli hoped Lisbeth could feel the whole-hearted irritation and rage that Juli felt. On the Reverend's face was the look of someone who knew their dream was about to fall to pieces, and someone desperate enough to do anything to stop it. "Wonderful! It's all right, Daniel...go see her! I mean, she's right there...Don't be afraid!"

"I..." Juli's heart broke at the sounds coming out of Daniel's mouth. He looked so shattered, as though he really were just a lost wolf cub instead of a human with powers. "I don't know her."

"Of course. I know this is hard for you, my son."

"Stop calling him that!" Juli flinched at the cold, hard anger in Karen's voice. "You're just manipulating him, you sicko."