EPISODE FIVE / ENDING 2 / moon

They stared out the window at the police officers. "So...how does the story of the wolf brothers and their friend, the fox, end?" Daniel asked.

"Listen up! Step out of the car! NOW!"

Sean and Juli shared one last look. "Whatever you decide, I'll be here," Juli promised.

He looked down at the ground and took in a deep breath. He looked back up. Determination set his mouth into a terse line. "They make it to the other side."

Daniel's attention snapped toward Sean, his eyes wide. "W-What?"

"Are you sure?" Juli asked.

Sean locked eyes with Juli. "Trust me, okay?" Juli couldn't do anything except for nod and tighten her grip on her seat. Sean stared at Daniel through the rearview mirror. "Just...get us through. Hold on tight."

Daniel's jaw went slack as Sean reached down and turned the engine on. The rear fishtailed behind them from the sudden acceleration. The cops and barricade came closer and closer.

"I don't wanna!" Daniel protested. "I'm not hurting anyone else!"

The cops began to open fire. "It's too late!" Sean snapped. "They're shooting at us, Daniel! This is the only way!"

Daniel began forcing cars aside, although he didn't deliberately harm anyone. Juli didn't dare stick her head out the window to help. She made eye contact with Daniel through the rearview window and saw him wilt. Tears came to his eyes.

"I'm sorry, guys...but I have to go."

Sean took his eyes off the road for a second to look back at Daniel. "What?!"

"Wolf boy, what are you talking about?" Juli demanded.

"Don't turn back for me."

With a grunt, Daniel broke the metal gate at the border as easily as if he were smashing through a LEGO set. He pushed the door open and Juli tried to reach back for him, but her fingers only grazed against Daniel's arm as he rolled out of the truck.

"Daniel!" they both screamed as they shot through the gate. Above them, white letters read BIENVENIDO A MEXICO.

Juli sat back in her chair, feeling as though her heart had flown up to their throat. She looked over at Sean and saw her own devastation reflected back at her in droves. She reached over and cupped his hand on the steering wheel, and he let the truck roll along the road as he rested his forehead on her hand. She felt tears stain her skin and let out a shaky breath of her own.

They had found their independence...but at the cost of their family.

-

Six years after the events at the border...

Juli looked up at the sound of footsteps. She slowly raised her hands above her head as a trio of gang members approached, one of them holding a gun out at her with shaky finger around the trigger. 

He nodded at the safe behind her and she turned around, trying her best to play her concentration off as fear. The moment her fingers touched the lock, she whirled around and let out a fierce sonic scream.

The gang members yelled in surprise as their lead member slammed back against a wall. He fell to the ground in an unconscious heap and the other two stared at Juli with horror and shock painted on their faces. Juli smirked and pointed at the door behind them. The message was clear; they grabbed the unconscious man and ran out the door.

A sigh left her lips the moment they were out of view. She walked to the doorway, grabbed the gun that had fallen, and placed it next to the safe with the safety on. She ran a hand through her freshly cut hair and exited out the backdoor, but not before locking the front door and turning the lights off.