Back to work

Maxi's p.o.v
I was about to answer all the questions I could that Jesse had for me when immediately I was brought back into the reality of my job. I had to block out everything that was happening with Kenz as three people were on the verge of death in the unpredictable ocean.

After the radio call from Harrison, Jesse and I raced into the salt water after the three drowning teenagers.
Two hopped on Jesse's board leaving me with the last one who happened to also be the worst swimmer of them. Once we got them back onto shore we did a quick examination to see if there was a possibility of water in the lungs. Even though we recommended them a trip to the hospital they refused help so there was nothing we could do about it.

Jesse asked all of his questions and I now had some time to answer.
"How's her leg?"
"It has to be reconstructed but I'm assuming it should be fine in the long run. She's gonna hate it though. Not being able to surf, swim or even walk. The ocean is her life."
"Yeah that sucks but at least it will eventually get back to normal. What about her lungs, how much water are we talking."
"There was quite a bit of water on her lungs and she was slightly deteriorated. Going in and out of consciousness on the trip up. But once her lungs are clear all of those symptoms should pass."
Jesse nodded in response looking rattled but at peace with the information he was just given, however there was no time for further questioning as we were back in the water rescuing four more in backpackers.
***********************************************************
My shift was almost over when deano stepped out of the tower and made eye contact with me. He held up my phone and acted out a siren with his hand telling me I got a call from the hospital. I raced to the tower leaving Jesse confused in the shoreline.
I took the phone from his hand and spoke down the line.
"Hello this is Trent. Is there news on Kenzie?"
"Yes, her lungs are clear however her ankle wasn't able to be reconstructed so we have had to amputate."
"Please tell me you are taking the Mickey. The break wasn't that bad as if you had to amputate." I was getting frustrated at the calmness of this mans voice while he was talking about such a life changing matter.
"I'm sorry sir, a few pieces of the bone have completely broken off and we're floating around in her tendons. The split had also become severely infected and we had no other option than amputating before the infection spread through to other ligaments. You are however able to see her now."

I hung up without saying anything more and looked at deano water threatening to spill from my tired eyes.
"Can I please leave early?"
He looked at the crowd on the beach then back at me.
"Yes, go I'll cover for you."
I quickly hugged him then raced to my car and drove to the hospital as fast as legally possible.

When I got to Kenzie's room my heart dropped. She was restless, crying and looking at the stub at the bottom in her leg. She turned to me and whispered through sniffles,
"I'm no longer me."

I walked up to her bed and sat with her cradled on my lap. We sat like that for a while until her crying tired her out enough to let her fall asleep.