2 | Cat-astrophe

"Fuck!" One burst out, slamming his hands down beside his keyboard. "She disabled the tracker."

"Didn't take long," Three commented.

"Don't admire her too much, your girlfriend will get jealous," Five joked weakly. She was laid out on one of the sofas, an ice pack on the back of her head where she'd fallen and hit it.

"What else have we got on her?" Two asked, frowning deeply. "Something. Anything." She glanced up at One. "What about that kiss she always leaves?"

"She didn't this time."

Seven rested one ankle on his thigh, nodding slowly in thought. "I'm guessing something went wrong with her plan."

"We went wrong with her plan," One said, pride lacing his tone.

"Yeah, but she still got away," Four pointed out, gingerly resting his elbows on his knees - the bruises were blossoming all over from the fight. "What happens if she gets away with the real thing?"

"Have some fucking faith."

"I wonder how much she's getting paid," Three mused. "Could we buy her out?"

"And how would we approach that? Put it all over the billboards and hope she sees our offer before she decides to blow our fucking brains out – or blow up Turgistan? No."

"She was wearing some kind of bulletproof suit," Seven said, pointing at one of the images on One's screen. "And a bulletproof dress before that."

"I've never seen material like it," One agreed, his expression hardening as his attention shifted. "I don't know who the fuck is sponsoring her, but they've got more advanced technology than I've ever seen. I mean, she shouldn't have been able to get past the code on the safe. It was 12 digits long. But she used this thing," he indicated the decoder, "to do it in seconds."

Five shifted and winced as her head throbbed. "So what's the plan?"

"You, you need to rest," Two said. "And we just wait until she makes another appearance. And she will, right?"

"Yes." One nodded curtly, closing down his tabs definitively. "The cat likes to play."

***

"Congratulations," Harmony sighed. "You stole a fake. Did you not think to check?"

"There wasn't really enough time," Blake replied curtly, using her glove blade to slice the wires on the tracker inside. "You know, what with the Ghosts on my tail as soon as I took it."

Harmony glanced at her. "We have to go back. Circe won't rest until she has it."

Blake nodded absently as she rewired the tracker, flinching at the sparks caused by the short-circuit. Winding down the window, she let the wind cool her cheeks before throwing the case out the car. It made a satisfying crunch on the tarmac and the car behind them swerved, horn blaring.

Harmony sighed a long-suffering sigh, shaking her head, smiling despite herself. "Do you live for chaos?"

Blake shrugged and grinned. "Yes."

***

It was the weirdest feeling, to have your enemy beside you in a bed, collapsed and panting with a sheen of sweat over you both. Though Blake didn't regret it on any level.

Four propped himself up on one elbow, grinning lazily. Blake returned his infectious smile with a satisfied one of her own. God, it had been way too long since she'd spent the night with someone. She'd almost forgotten what it felt like. Almost.