23 | Just Fur You

With very little left to do except wait for Four to heal and research their next target. One focussed on researching a certain Julian Fuentes, a French people-smuggler that purportedly worked under an elusive higher power. He was hoping that Fuentes might be the key to the king pin who was next on his list of twelve top targets.

Meanwhile, the other Ghosts were taking advantage of the facilities at Murat's penthouse. They were scheduled to stay there for one more week before going back to the airstrip. Blake was excited to get her own trailer to personalise, and Three had promised to help her set up inside. One, however, had a sneaking suspicion that she wouldn't be staying in her trailer very much, which was a little bit of a problem.

When Blake announced that she was going to watch a movie with Four, One decided to address their budding relationship while Blake was away.

"Okay," One said. "It was very nice to have all this lovey-dovey stuff to convince Eight to choose the better sibling, but I need some way to split those two up. Any suggestions?"

There was a moment of silence while they all stared at him like he'd grown another head.

"What?" he asked. "Did I stutter?"

Five gaped. "You can't just..."

"What?"

"You can't split them up." She frowned. "They really like each other."

"That is the problem," One said, leaning forwards and making a steeple with his fingers. "I can't have people compromising themselves for other people. Especially hot-headed millennials."

"Give them a break, One." Seven muted the TV and turned around on the sofa, resting his arms against the back of it. "They've been through a lot."

One lifted his hands. "No, I'm serious. Four literally got stabbed." He pointed at Five. "Five can attest to this."

"We know he did," Three butted in, "but it worked out alright."

"Pipe down, buttercup," One quipped, earning a less than amused scowl from Three. "The three-word phrase is coming. I can feel it."

Two gave him a droll look. "So? Let it."

"Not that you're much better, you two," One said, eying Two and Three with some suspicion.

"Shut up," Five demanded. "They're cute."

"We've got cute! Wally's cute!" One appealed, spreading his hands.

"That big lump of doleful dog?" Seven raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, Four loves that dog too you know."

Two's eyebrows twitched downwards. "Where does he come into this?

"I'm just saying, because you lot seem to be taking his side right now," One said, turning away from them slightly. He frowned at the door that lead to Four's room, ensuring neither of them were eavesdropping.

"This isn't a competition, One," Seven pointed out, folding his arms. His fingers drummed against his arm lightly. "If I remember rightly, you've gone and made sweet love and procreated."

One heaved a sigh. "That wasn't planned."

"Still," Seven said, staring at him as if he had rested his case. He hadn't, not by a long shot. One was going to fight this argument to the end, and he was going to get his way. He wondered why they couldn't see that it was going to be a problem for the team. It was bad enough with Two and Three canoodling, but a younger couple was surely going to prove disastrous.

"Fine," he said. "But that hasn't meant I stop being a ghost, has it?"

"And they won't either," Five replied, gesturing to them all. "And neither will we!"