8 | Not Feline It

"Hey, One, can I have a word?" Five asked. "In private?"

"Sure."

He followed her back into his private workroom. "What's up?"

Five pointed at the screen, where Blake's brother's file was displayed. "I did some reading into her brother's file. They've listed his illness as some kind of rare genetic disorder."

One's brows twitched together. "So Blake could have it too?"

"That's not what I mean." Five clicked another file and brought the two up side-by-side. "The symptoms sound exactly like simple belladonna poisoning."

"Shit." He sat down and started scanning the file. "Seriously?"

"Seriously. Which points to Cir-Tech organising a mass blackmail operation." Five leaned over One and clicked into the other files that One had found and documented. "There's at least five other patients listed in the last five years, but three of those are labelled dead. All showed the same symptoms."

"This is great," One grinned.

Five frowned, not expecting a positive reaction to the news.

"You, my friend, are a fucking genius," he continued, "I bet they didn't expect us to figure that out when they leaked those files!"

"Leaked files?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah." He nodded and rolled his eyes skyward. "You think a company that makes bullet-proof silk would be easy to hack? I'm flattered you think I'm that good, but those files were way too easy to find on such short notice."

"So she's a double-agent," Five surmised.

"Very likely," he agreed. "But it's the perfect disguise. They'll never expect her to turn back on them. We can use this to our advantage."

"And if she turns back on us?"

"Well, I'm going to offer her the world on a silver platter, so she'd better not fuck us over."

***

It had been a week since Blake had been locked in the safe and she had spent the majority of it sitting around with the other Ghosts, watching movies and waiting for Cir-Tech to make their move.

"Yes!" Five rolled a double six on the dice and grinned. "Get me out of jail, will you, Blake?"

Blake smiled and moved her piece for her. "Does that mean I'm forgiven for the Birthday Tax Card?"

"Not until you land on my hotel," Five countered. "I want my fifty pounds back!"

"Don't hog the dice," One pouted. Five passed them to him and he rolled a three, coming to rest on the Tax £200 spot. "Come on! Seriously? I was winning!"

One passed the die to Blake and she rolled. Her piece landed on One's house and she grudgingly handed him the rent.

"That's it, I'm out," she said, throwing up her hands.

"Eight down, five to go," Three mused with a faint grin, as he carefully counted his own money.

"Good luck with the rest of the game." Blake said, getting to her feet. "I'm going to head to bed and try get a good night's sleep."

"'Aight, see you," Seven said, glancing up briefly before going back to counting his game money.

"Good night," Five nodded.

Three rolled the dice and made sure Blake was gone before he spoke. "She's got some spirit, that kid, I'll tell you that."

One had sent Four away to gather intelligence on a company he 'suspected may be linked'. It wasn't in any way, but he needed the two of them separated. As yet, Four had no idea Blake was currently using their spare bedroom, and Blake hadn't asked where Four was, so One was more than happy with the arrangement.

"She's hardly a kid, Javier," Five replied, not looking up from shuffling her property cards. "She may be half your age, but she's still an adult."

"I still wonder how she got so good," Seven mused.

"I wouldn't pry." One shook his head as he sipped his beer. "She's very private."

"So, the polar opposite of our Billy."

"Let's not go into that."

"Why not? Because you sent him away on a wild goose chase?" Five asked.

"The situation is volatile. It's easier this way. And it distracts him."

"Why are we even keeping her here?" Seven said, leaning forwards and lowering his voice. "She's clearly upsetting the balance, and for all intents and purposes she's a proven psychopath, surely. I don't know about you all, but I've been sleeping with one eye open all week. It's starting to take a toll, y' know?"

No one replied, until Three shrugged and poured the last drops of beer into his mouth. "You've got to feel bad for her. I'd do the same thing if my mama was dying."

"Would you?"

"Every time."

"Even if you had to hurt Camille?"

Three paused. "If I had to?" He asked carefully. "Yes. Surely the life is worth more."

"True that," One nodded, a far-away look in his eyes. "You put the ones you love in the least danger possible. Even if it fucking hurts."

"Camille?" Seven asked with an incredulous glance at the blonde.

Two shrugged. " I know he loves his ma; I wouldn't mind if he hurt me... But what she did to Billy was unnecessary."

"See? It was a complete dick move she pulled," Seven appealed, sitting back in mild triumph.

Five grinned. "Hey, don't go big brother mode on us, Blaine."

"I'm just saying." He rolled his eyes when he saw her expression. "Wish I hadn't opened my trap now."

Two shrugged. "I'm done with the game. I'm going to take advantage of the facilities and use the hot tub. Javier?"

Rising to his feet, Three nodded. "Yeah, I'll come."

"Make sure you clean it after!" One called after them. "And don't get water all over my fucking deck!"

"Aw, I really wanted to use that later," Five said.

One pulled a face. "I wouldn't risk it."

"They've been going at it like rabbits ever since we got here," Seven pointed out, counting out his game money.

"I don't care as long as they use protection."

"They'll be fine. She's got enough sense for the both of them," Five dismissed. She looked forlornly at the game board. "I guess we'd better count our money and find the winner."