Chapter 1

It had been a long day, not a bad one, just long. I just came home from work thinking about her and how I should ask her to the dance. She won't want to go with me, Lily is crazy about Brody. I got up from my room and went to the bathroom. I need to clear my head. After I washed my face and put the napkin on the rack, I glanced out the window and saw her again. Well, not her, just her outline and a shadow of her phone. I felt all the blood rush to my face as I slammed the curtains shut again. I know I didn't see anything. I haven't ever, but I still feel like I am invading her privacy. I quickly collect myself and grab the landline. Well, at least I have an excuse to talk to her now. She picked up after a few rings. "Hello?" she said sweetly.

"You should check the curtains before you take a bath, princess," I teased.

"Wha—" she yelp. I hear a strange splash as she probably gets up to check the window. Then I just burst out laughing.

"Priceless," I say, still laughing. "You never fail to amuse, princess."

Suddenly I hear whacks on the phone. For a second I got worried but then I realized that she was banging the phone in a cute attempt to get back at me. I guess she was still mad I threw that wad of paper at her when she was about to talk to Brody. I knew I shouldn't but I couldn't help myself. I don't want her to get hurt over some idiot who is too superficial to cherish her.

I know what you're thinking, that its just my jealousy talking. Well, it's not, not entirely anyway. I know Brody's ex really well, she and I used to hang out almost every day when we were kids and we are still pretty close. She complained about how Brody never paid any attention to her all the time. I have even overheard several of their fights and from the looks of it, Brody is a self-obsessed douchebag with a serious narcissus complex. Lily doesn't know this, of course, she only sees what Brody wants to show her, which is Mr. Perfect student/athlete. I just wish she would realize that he is not as perfect as he appears to be.

Poor Courtney had to deal with his shit for so long that it made her so bitter. She used to be one of the nicest people I knew, always helping others and working with different charities. She and her mom have helped out my family several times. Now she just cares about her looks and Brody. It's so sad to see her like this. I just don't want Lily to deal with that.

"Why?!?" she yells, "Why do you enjoy torturing me so much?"

'Because, I just want an excuse to talk to you' I think to myself. "Because," I try to say between laughs, "you make it so easy."

"You," she continues to yell at me, "are a vile, repulsive, slimy-headed vent worm."

Each insult feels like a slap in the face from the person I love, but I just take a second and chuckle before answering, "That's a new one."

"I've got dozens more where that came from," she says in a sassy tone. "Care to hear some?"

"Someday," I say trying to come up with a witty reply, "I might take you up on that offer." Of course, that came out pathetic.

"Fraidy-fish," she muttered.

"Admit it, princess, you'd be bored without me" I say trying to be smooth.

"Without you, I'd have a date to the Spring Fling." That gets my attention.

"A date?" I almost yelled. That's why she wanted to talk to Brody during trig. "You're not still panting after that Benson boob, are you?"

"Bennett," she corrects "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I think you do—" I begin, trying to get some more information from her.

"In fact," she cuts me off, "I don't know why I'm still talking to you."

"You're talking to me, because I can help you snag your crush." I say, trying to keep the conversation going. I know, it's a stupid thing to do, but I need to know more.

"Ha!" she retorts "Nice try, Quince."

"Fine. When you're ready for help, you know where to find me."

"I wish I didn't," she returns. "Hey! How did you know I was in the bath, anyway?" I smile as I just hang up. It adds to my mystery if I keep some things from her. I smile to myself as I go downstairs and heat up my dinner.

While I eat dinner, my thoughts drift back to Lily, I know exactly what she was thinking: Why does Quince Fletcher always ruin my chance with Brody! I also know I shouldn't do that but Brody is not right for her. And I am not just saying that because I want her for myself; I recognize the fact that she is a person not property. He doesn't value her, understand her or care about her. I am not saying that I am perfect and she should be with me, either, I just don't want her getting hurt. She only thinks she is in love with him but she doesn't know him. Oh well, I can worry about that later. Time to finish the trig homework.

After finishing my homework, I took out the trash for tomorrow and finished all the other chores around the house. I like to help out my mom, I know she has a hard life so I try to make it easier on her. Anyway, I was finally able to go to bed at 1:00. As I laid down, I couldn't stop thinking of Lily asking Brody to the dance. As images flashed before my eyes, I was filled with anger. My fist clenched and my jaw tightened as I imagined Brody being the jerk he is and breaking her heart. She doesn't deserve him. She deserves better, someone 10,000 times better. She deserves someone better than me, and I know it's not Brody Bennet. I will talk to her tomorrow. The best thing about having your crush live right next to you is that you can see her virtually whenever you want. I calm myself and drift of the sleep.