Chapter 2

The next morning, I walked up to her doorstep before school. I took the newspaper off their front door and knocked. Lily's aunt opened the door.

"Good morning, Quince," she greets with her usual warmth. "What brings you over?"

"The paperboy misfired again." I said nonchalantly. I handed her the paper as a discreetly tried to scan around the house looking for Lily.

"Ah, I see, well thank you for bringing it by," she replied with a knowing smile. I felt myself starting to blush. I have known Lily for three years and fell in love with her the first time I saw her. Normally I am pretty good at hiding my feelings but when it comes to her, things are different. Practically everyone in both of our lives know that I care about her. Well, everyone but her of course.

Finally, Lily made it down the steps and entered the kitchen. She comes down wearing a plain sea-green top with a greenish-blueish skirt. I know it's not something most high school girls would choose, but she isn't like everyone else. She is different and she always shows it through her unique fashion sense. Honestly, I think she looks more and more beautiful each day. I hear Ms. Hale say my name and it snaps me out of my trance. I was just about to ask her what she said when she told Lily to pour out a glass of juice for me. I politely inform her that I already had breakfast and Lily turns around to face me. She has this adorable confused look on her face and now I just want to mess with her.

"But," I start, "I would love a glass of juice."

She glared at me and slightly pouted in response. Did she put on lip gloss? Lily doesn't wear makeup often unless there is a special event or she is trying to get Brody's attention. She must be planning on asking him to the dance today. He is just going to break her heart. She deserves better than that superficial, popularity obsessed jackass.

"Here," she says, shoving the glass in my towards me and snapping me out of my thoughts. I tell myself to focus. I need to make sure she doesn't get her heart broken, or at the very least, be there for her, and for that, I can't let her know anything is up. I swallowed the glass of juice but was so distracted by the castosophe I sensed coming that I didn't even realize how cold it was.

"Just what I needed," I said, smiling. She is still trying to stare holes into my head with her angry gaze while I lean in and put my hand over her cheek. I wiped a bit of lip gloss from her face but let my hand linger for a moment. I felt my heart beating out of my chest.

"Looks like you missed a spot, princess," I gently whispered while showing her the glittery gloss on my finger. She pushed my back but ends up spilling her juice all over us. I just laughed. It reminded me of her first day of school where she spilled enchiladas all over the cafeteria. I was about to go over and help but Bennet beat me to it. Her aunt starts to scold her but I take the blame. I had almost forgotten Ms. Hale was even there. Damn, what is this girl even doing to me? Wanting to keep my thoughts off this topic, I turned to Ms. Hale and thanked her for the organic lemon bars she had sent over for me and mom.

"I'll have to make some more," she says smiling.

"I wouldn't talk you out of it, ma'am," I responded. Ms. Hale had been sending us home-made treats since I could remember. She tried out several recipes, and most of them were amazing. The prune balls she made a couple years ago was an exception, but that's another story. I, then, said goodbye to Lily, went home to change my shirt and got on my motorcycle to get to school.

The ride to school was difficult, to say the least. I was so distracted thinking about Bennet and my Princess. (Yes, I know what his name is, I just pretend I don't to get Lily worked up.) Any way, back to the point at hand, Lily and Brody. Well, the thing about them is that she has been crazy over him since the first time she met him. Brody, on the other hand, doesn't notice her as much because for that, he would need to look away from the mirror every once in a while. I, personally, don't think Lily is actually in love with that jackass. I mean, she is never herself around him. She just says and does anything he would want her to say and do. It's as if she thinks that the real her would scare him away and that is crazy. Lily is one of the smartest, kindest, purest souls I have ever met. She is the closest thing to perfection I have ever seen.

Bennet, I think, is on the opposite side of the spectrum. He is way too into the high school clique and status quo thing. Because of that, he is so superficial and would put his 'image' over everything, even Lily. I just have this very bad feeling when it comes to him and Lily. She deserves someone who can give her the world and treat her like the princess she is. She deserves a relationship where she can be herself and doesn't have to worry that she is not good enough for his so-called image. Brody will just hurt her, and that is the last thing I want. I want to tell her to forget all about him and be with someone who actually has the ability to make her happy, even if its not me. I can't do that, though. She isn't ready to listen to me, or anyone for that matter. As much as I want to protect her from this pain, I know I can't. It has to be her journey, her realization, her decision. I think it is best to just get this over with. It's been going long enough and the longer it lasts, the more pain she would have to go through. Maybe I can make her understand this at the spring fling.

She has never had a chance to have a proper and meaningful conversation with Brody. Maybe if she does, she can realize he is not the right guy for her. I need a plan to set her up with him for the spring fling, at least let her have one real conversation with him. If this works, she will see the real Brody Bennet, not just that fantasy she has had for years. For now, I need more information so I can execute this. With this final though, I parked my bike and entered the school.