Chapter 3

Just as I reached my locker, I ran into Courtney, Brody's ex. Taking advantage of the situation, I decided to get some information out of her.

"Hey, Courtney, how's the planning for the spring fling going?"

"Well, my responsibilities as head of the committee are going just fine. But I don't have a date yet. Brody and I just broke up, but I am sure someone will ask me soon enough. I just hope it's someone on the swim team so I can make him jealous," Courtney replied.

"Good plan, but don't you think he is going to be focused on his own date?"

"He doesn't have a date. I asked around and my sources told me he wanted to stag to the dance. Something about his new found freedom," she said rolling her eyes.

"Oh, then that plan just might work! What are you planning on going as?"

"I have a Pirate Wench costume I was going to wear. Brody and I had planned it together since he was going as a pirate, but now I am not so sure. Do you know anyone that needs the costume?"

"I would love to, but I don't think it would fit me either." I joke," if you want, we could go to the dance together." I teased. We would never, of course. She is sort of like a sister but I just wanted to cheer her up.

"Haha very funny," she said playfully punching me, "I think you should just focus on Lily and keep her away from Brody."

"It was nice catching up with you. See ya!" I said blushing.

"Bye," Courtney waved as I walked off to find Lily.

Courtney and I aren't as close as we used to be in middle school friends but our moms are. Because of that, she is super nice to me, other than that she is that typical high school popular girl.

"I know you and Courtney broke up," I hear Lily say. "But I was wondering if—"

"Yeah, finally. I was tired of her nagging. Always harping at me to buy her flowers or cut my hair or change my clothes. Can't believe I put up with it for two whole years," Brody interrupted.

I couldn't let Lily do this. If her turned her down now, she would cry and if anyone found out she cried, they would never let her live it down.

"Do you want to go to the dance wi..." she started.

"Well, well, well, you two lovebirds should just hook up and get it over with. All this tension gives me hives," I interrupted her. I was staring at her with an intense gaze. She had changed her clothes after the orange juice incident this morning. I saw she cheeks go red.

"Good one, Fletcher. As if Lil would have any interest in a ladies' man like me," Brody replied.

I didn't move my gaze from Lily pleading her to stop with my eyes as she unconvincingly said, "Yeah, as if."

At this point, she was staring right back into my eyes. I knew she was furious with me but I didn't care about that at the moment. I would do anything to protect her, even if it meant fighting with her. The tension between me and Lily continued to grow while a small part of me was afraid Brody had figured out what she wanted to ask him. I mean the only had one and a half words left in her question and it's pretty easy to guess what they were. Finally, the bell rang.

"Gotta go. What were you going to ask me, Lil?" Brody said breaking the silence. A smile crept up to my face as I realized he hadn't figured it out and there was no way Lily would ask him in front of me.

"I'll, uh, ask you later," she says.

"Sure," he says. "See ya, Fletcher."

"Later," I responded giving Lily a wink.

Then she finally snapped. As soon as the door closed, she jumped out of her chair with her fist ready to pummel me. I grabbed a hold of her wrists while she yelled at me.

"Why? Why do you enjoy ruining my life?" she screamed.

"Chill, princess, I just saved you from making a huge mistake," I responded still holding her so she doesn't kill me before I get to my point.

"Excuse me?" she says frustrated.

"Asking Benson to the dance just then—" I start.

"Bennett," she interrupted, still trying to free her hands so she could punch me.

"—would have gotten you a big fat no." I finished. I regretted my choice of words as soon as they came out of my mouth. Her muscles loosened, her fists unclenched, her shoulders slumped and her eyes were looking at the floor. Within seconds she went from a confident girl ready to fight me to a defeated, heartbroken person. I hate that this has such an effect on her. When it comes to Brody, all of her self confidence drains in an instant. She is always questioning whether she is good enough for him even though its Brody who doesn't deserve Lily. It breaks my heart to see her like this.

"Don't do that, don't twist my words." I told her softly. She finally looked up and our eyes met once again.

"What is that supposed to mean?" she asked, clearly not getting my subtext.

"I wasn't saying you have no chance with him." I let go of her wrists and step back as I try to process the pain in her eyes. "You're too good for a loser like him."

"Then what were you saying?" she asks bitterly.

"Asking him to the dance is not the way to catch his attention," I explain.

"Oh really, what do you know about it?"

"I know that he's not looking for a date," I explained to her.

"And just how would you know that?" she questions. Wow. Convincing her won't be easy.

"Courtney" I responded honestly.

"Right. Why would she tell you anything?" she said with her voice dripping in sarcasm. There is the energy I was looking for!

"Some girls actually enjoy talking to me." I say to get her more worked up. She mutters something about jellyfish brain under her breath

"Anyway," I continued, "when Bens— when Bennett broke up with her, he said he wanted to be single for a while, taste the fruits of freedom and all that garbage. He'll be going stag to the dance." I explained.

She rolled her eyes at me, not believing what I said

"Ask him, then," I said defeatedly. Maybe I won't be able to protect her from this one. At least not until she chooses to trust me.

"I will," she challenged.

"Don't say I didn't warn you," I tried one last time.

"I won't," she said grabbing her bag and walking out the door just as the tardy bell rang.