Chapter 3: To all that's new

It was funny, sitting behind that desk again, like the past ten years had never happened. It felt like little Stiles could barge in every second now, but Derek knew better. From the moment he saw Stiles, so mature and very, very underdressed, he'd had this weird feeling in his chest, but he wasn't sure he really minded. He came here for a fresh start, a new beginning, and there was absolutely no denying that this situation was new.

Stiles was here, just not to play tag. He worked here now, as a profiler, the youngest one ever in Beacon Hills. The sheriff had asked Derek to look after him and for the past two weeks he'd been nothing but glad to do that. Stiles was just really fucking fascinating when he worked. Every time Derek looked up from his desk to look at the central worktable of the station he saw a to him unknown version of the boy he used to know. Where 11 year old Stiles would have bounced off the walls, struggling to make his homework, 22 year old Stiles was the most concentrated Derek had ever seen him.

He didn't exactly know when he got up, but apparently he did, because he was standing beside the younger man, breaking his concentration. "Oh, hey Der, what's up?", he beamed like he hadn't just been in trance for 20 minutes straight. "Nothing. It's just interesting to watch you. You seem different when you work, calmer." Stiles chuckled, "Yeah? Well, that's probably because I finally started taking my meds properly. And this is really important to me, you know? Usually I'm five seconds into studying something when my brain goes hocus pocus, you've lost your focus, but when I'm doing research I don't fidget, I don't lose my patience, everything is structured and organized and I actually feel useful."

Derek frowned at that, " Stiles, what are you talking about? You ARE useful. You're crazy smart, your mind is this wondrous, creative thing and you should be proud of what it can do." A shy smile, "Thanks, Der, that's a really nice thing to say." Derek smiled, giving Stiles' shoulder a reassuring squeeze, "I mean it." He was about to walk back to his desk when Stiles called out, "Hey!" Derek turned around again, "Yes?" Stiles was wringing his hands, "My dad's not home tonight, and um....", he looked down shyly, "I was wondering if you would like to have dinner... with me?" If Derek wouldn't know any better, he would think Stiles was asking him on a date. He smiled at the thought, "Sounds good, I'll come over by seven?" There was something unreadable going on with Stiles' face, was that relief? "I'll see you then."

...........................................................................................................................

Derek knocked on Stiles' door at exactly seven, it opened practically immediately. "Hey, Der, come on in." Derek followed him into the hallway, "It smells good in here." Stiles smiled proudly, "I made pot roast, my mom's recipe." Derek froze for a second, just long enough for Stiles to notice. "It's okay, Derek, I still miss her, but I'm able to talk about the good times now." Derek relaxed again, following Stiles into the next room. "Throw your jacket anywhere, I'll get us a drink", Stiles said before disappearing in the kitchen. Derek had settled on the sofa when Stiles returned with two beers. He flopped down on the sofa and raised his bottle, "A toast, to all that's new." Derek clinked their drinks, "Hear-hear!"

They were sitting there in blissful silence when Stiles cleared his throat, "Can I ask you a question?" Derek straightened his back, "Of course, what's up?" "Why did you come back?" Derek had thought about that question a lot since he returned, but he didn't expect he'd have to answer it for someone else. "I guess I was tired of living someone else's dream? I went to New York for Laura, because she would never get the chance, but I came back for me. I wasn't happy there."

Stiles nodded with a pensive look, before giving Derek a hug, "I'm really sorry." And boom, there it was, the realisation. That weird feeling in his chest he'd been feeling every time he was around Stiles for the past few weeks? He'd sure as hell figured it out now... Derek was in love. With Stiles.

Fuck. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that was chapter three. I know it's really crappy, but I had exams this week and it was so hectic that I barely had any time to write and it's a filler chapter anyway so... I hope you guys still enjoyed, though.

Fare thee well,

XXX - HY_13

P.S.: don't be scared to comment on this story or message me privately, I don't bite ;-P