Tales That I Remember (pt. 1)

"Done!"

Vaggie had just finished painting the last of Angel's toenails and put it underneath a dryer. "Yay~," he squealed, making Vaggie laugh. Her nails were already painted and dried, so she was just returning the favor at the moment. "They're gonna look so nice when they're done!" Angel chirped. "Yep," Vaggie said, "All thanks to yours truly!" Angel suddenly swoops in and crashes his lips onto hers. When he pulls away, Vaggie is blushing and clearly surprised. She laughs, and bashfully says, "Oh, come on, Angel! At least give me a chance to prepare!" Angel grins. "Wouldn't even dream of it, toots!" Vaggie playfully rolls her eyes and crawls closer to him, slipping perfectly into his much, much bigger body. She snuggles into his side, and he leans his head atop of hers. For a long moment, they sit in silence like this.

"Hey, Vaggie?" Angels asks. "Hm?" Vaggie hums. "The other day, you were mentioning some corner store that didn't exist?" He asks. Vaggie huffs. "It does exist, Angel."

"Yeah, but not here. Not in Hell; so... I was wondering..." Angel trails off, and Vaggie shifts her head to look up at him. Silently, she urges him to continue. "I was just wondering if that had anything to do with your past, maybe? Like, your past-past." He scratches at his fur a bit. "You know, like... back when you were alive?" Vaggie makes a face, and Angel immediately begins to feel bad. "Ah, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up —" Vaggie interrupts him. "It's fine, hun. It's not like we haven't talked about our pasts before." She tried to laugh as she says this, but it's obviously fake. Angel frowns. "Sure, but never in detail." He thinks about what he wants to say. "I mean... if you're comfortable talking about the details, I'd like to know 'em." Vaggie opens her mouth to reply, and then closes it, going silent. "I can go first, if you want." Angel suddenly says. Vaggie smiles somewhat apologetically. "Please? Just so I can get a feel of what you want to hear, exactly." Instinctively, Angel scoffed. Realizing that he might have sounded a little mean, he clears his throat and instead says, "Er, everything. Well, everything you remember at least. That's what I'd like to hear. So, anyways..." Angel then begins to recall his human life, and the flashbacks begin. "I've got lots of blanks in my head, but the first big thing that I can remember that happened pretty early in my life was me and my first boyfriend walking to the subway..."

...

A young fluffy haired boy walks down the streets with his arm linked with another: a savvy young boy with dark skin and a pulled back fro. Dirty looks were thrown their way as they walked by, but the boys didn't care, especially the fluffy haired one. In this life, he was known as —

"Wow, is that Helen?" Stiffening, Helen turned to look over at the group of girls. The blondie, and the only one in the group of brunettes, smirked at Helen, and then turned to a cowering girl with glasses. "Oh, man, you must be so embarrassed, Edna! You're such a bore of a girlfriend that your first boyfriend disappeared and not only left you, but for a GUY no less! Hah!" Edna readjusted her glasses and pushed the blonde away from her. Helen became uncomfortable, scrunching up his face as did his boyfriend at the time, Cameron. "Stop it, Allison, it wasn't like that!" Edna shyly looked over to Helen, puffy eyes and everything. "Helen, that's not..." she took a breath. "That's not true is it?" Helen looked away. "Of course it wasn't like that, Edna, I just..." Suddenly, Cameron grunted and pulled Helen along. "Get over it, Edna, you're done!" Helen gave Cameron a funny look, and glanced over his shoulder at his ex, who had began to cry again. Maybe in a moment of anger, or whatever else, she then yelled, "You dirty, gay devil!"

...

Vaggie frowned. "Sorry that happened to you." Angel sighed. "Yeah, well, homophobia and other things were pretty well accepted then anyway, it wasn't the first or last time anyone would say something like that to me." He said.