Chapter 9

Calista's Pov:
I heard the explosion. My first thought: Christian. The shadows have mysteriously disappeared, peace is among the civilians. The knights are already relieving wounds and helping people. Architects are discussing with glass-makers and stone-builders, but Christian is nowhere to be found.
Paige teleports beside me, with William close behind.
"Hey, where's Christian?" William asked, worried, "We heard the explosion and-"
"Oh no!" I cut him off with my shriek of pain. Two knights were carrying man, about my age, eighteen, with snow-white hair, and stiff limbs. It is Christian.
"Do you know this boy? Part of the royal court. He was a hero..." One knight said, "Do you know if anyone knows him?"
"We do," I weeped, "Please, let us have a moment."
The knights let him down gently, leaning him on a boulder that crashed into a castle wall.
"Christian!" We all exclaimed.
"H-how?" Paige teared up. She is really sensitive when these things happen.
"He saved us," I whispered, "There was a huge fireball... he... he sacrificed himself... for us..."
"Please, don't cry."
I heard the warm, familiar voice and Christian coughed and coughed and tried to speak, "I'm not gone yet."
"Christian!" William exclaimed, "For a second, I thought you were really gone. Don't scare us like that!"
"Yeah Christian you gotta stop saving everyone, let us help you once in a while," Paige sniffled.
I could only stare at him, the one who said that he wouldn't let anything hurt me, he meant it.
"Calista, please come over here," Christian said.
"Y-yes, Christian? Oh, you don't know how happy I am to see you alive!" I smiled.
He ran one hand through my hair, his other hand lacing with mine, "Please, Calista... I don't have much time. God is calling."
"Oh please Christian no. Please don't!" I try to shake him a little, "Please you have to stay with me! I- I love you Christian! Please... don't leave me... I have lost so much, I don't want to lose you. I'm sorry for being mean, please stay with me!" I use my healing powers and use whatever strength I have to heal his wounds, but he stops me.
"It's no good. I'm too far gone... Calista, I..." he coughs, "I... love-" he coughs again and again. His eyes start to close, and he stops moving.
"Christian? Christian please! No no Christian!" I cried and I cried for him to come back, and I heard a voice, "If you really love him, then tell me, how much?"
I was sure it was God himself speaking to me, so I sat down and prayed out loud as hard as I could, "Lord, I know Christian is a hero, but please please please! Bring him back. Bring my forever back."
All of a sudden, a huge flash of lightning streaked the sky, and the wind flurried my dress. Lightning cracked at the ground and thunder roared, and a small twister formed where Christian's body lay. Wings formed around Christian, enclosing him in a veil of light. The wings suddenly shot open, about twice as long as he was and his blue eyes regained the light it had. The light I learned to love. He floated down, but his wings remained, the light finally fading. His clothes were white robes, but no halo.
"Looks like God gave you a second chance," William cheered.
"No," Christian turned away from William and fixed his eyes on me, "He gave us a second chance," and with that his arms wrapped around me, so did his wings, a new addition. They gleamed with a heavenly brilliance, but then they faded.
"Don't worry, I still have them. And now, so do you," Christian pulled me close and put my lips to his. It seemed like that moment lasted forever. And then, he turned me around, and like stitch work, his hands formed wings on my back, almost as big as his.
"They're beautiful... how do they disappear?"
"Just think about it, they'll go away."
In an instant, they're gone. But wait, something wasn't right. Time itself was literally frozen.
"I don't want anyone knowing about how you got them. It's a gift, going to heaven and back really boosted my abilities. I can fend off a hundred fireballs now," Christian was holding my hands. He kissed my forehead, and time resumed.
"So, what were you saying Christian?" Paige asked.
"Just happy that God gave me another chance," Christian said, "Come on. Lets get rebuilding."