Chapter 03.

"Please say you dream of me too"

Barry stood before her, costume partly in tact yet parts of it looked as though he'd been at war with a lion. Cisco and Ralph had been at her side at this point, the pair just as stunned by the sudden appearance of their lost friend. The silence that filled the room was tense, but the second Caitlin snapped out of her trance, she was the first to move towards the man. Caitlin couldn't care less if he'd torn his suit, or scared them with the alarm, she just cared that he was there in the flesh.

"Hey." Barry's voice sounded rough, yet seemingly distant but Caitlin just assumed he was tired and in much need of a drink.

Caitlin had to admit she loved when Barry's voice became raspy when he was exhausted, just as it was in this moment. The brunettes arm's wove around the man before her, her face burying into his chest, holding him tight but carefully just in case he sustained any injuries. The feeling of him returning the embrace - his arms holding her just as tight as she was holding him - caused her heart to warm up with happiness. A feeling she hadn't felt in the last few weeks.

"Barry...dude...are you okay?" Cisco finally chirped up, moving forward his hand reaching for Barry's shoulder as Caitlin stepped out the hug she'd been so longing for.

"It...it's been hard, I didn't even know if it worked - then I couldn't get back and I-I thought I was gonna be stuck there..." Barry seemed different, Caitlin had noticed the way he wouldn't look them in the eyes, just a simple glance. But not once had he looked at her. Just knowing that simply broke her heart.

"Well you made it, buddy, I'm glad you're in one piece." Cisco gave him the usual friendly pat on the back, Barry could only give him a small smile, there was something behind it...he should be thrilled he was back, but his expression was clear that he wasn't. "Let's uh, let's get you out of that suit, good thing you keep spare clothes here."

Barry didn't seem to resist at all, closely following Cisco out of the cortex. Caitlin felt as though her heart had sunk, something had happened whilst he was gone, it was clear to her and she was pretty sure Cisco could see it too.

"Did Barry seem weird to you?" Ralph spoke up, his expression a clear wave of confusion just as the rest of them. Caitlin let out a sigh, taking up her coffee that had now gone cold.

"I'll go and talk to him."

She wasn't exactly sure whether Barry wanted to talk or not but she knew she had to find out what was wrong, plus it wasn't like she was avoiding him.

***

Caitlin found Barry half naked in Cisco's lab, the woman letting out a light gasp, not meaning to have walked in on him whilst he was changing. The sight could've made her drool but she knew this wasn't the time for her mind to go wandering so she quickly averted her gaze. The sound had made Barry spin on his feet, eyes finding her stood before him her face flushed red as though she'd been caught doing something she shouldn't.

"Caitlin. I didn't know you wer-" He started, Caitlin quickly rushing to interject.

"No I-uh, I just got here. Sorry, I just came to see if you were okay."

"Nice one." Frost muttered in Caitlin's mind, the brunette noting to tell Frost to not listen in on everything Caitlin was doing. Or at least to not judge her, she was nervous enough already. Barry cleared his throat, slipping the Star Labs jumper over his head.

"I'm...I'm fine, Cait." There it was again, the avoiding eye contact with her. It made her heart clench seeing him act this way.

"No, Barry...you're not. I can see it." There was no point dancing around the subject any longer. No doubt Cisco was informing Joe and Iris that Barry was back. Caitlin guessed she had about twenty minutes. "What happened?"

Barry seemed hesitant, the speedster resting against Cisco's desk, twiddling his thumbs. Caitlin couldn't see his face properly as he focused on his feet, she moved herself from the doorway hating the space between them. They'd never had that, they were always basically shoulder to shoulder, face to face whenever they were together. Never this huge space that was there now.

The feeling of her hand placing gently over his was what seemed to break him, a choked sob left his mouth. One Caitlin could tell he'd been holding in for a while. He allowed her to slip her hand between his, their fingers entwined as she gave it a squeeze. It was rare she saw Barry cry, he was strong man who'd been through so much that he had learned how to hold his tears back, just as she had. But something must've broken inside him.

"Oliver...he, Cait...he's dead."

Caitlin knew no words could mend the hurting in his heart, they both knew that. The news hit her too, she loved Oliver, she'd known him almost as long as Barry but she knew she had to be strong for him. This was his time to mourn. Caitlin put her arm around him, hinting at the embrace for comfort still unsure if he wanted it. But Barry was holding her close as soon as she indicated it. Caitlin allowed a tear to fall from her cheek, losing Oliver she knew had left a crack in her almost all of her friends heart. She couldn't bare the thought of Felicity finding out.

"It'll be okay." Caitlin consoled whispering softly, her voice croaky from her own tears. "He died a hero."

"I-I don't know what to do, Cait. I'm back and I'm supposed be happy...I'm supposed to be grateful but he was my friend for a long time." Barry sniffed, his eyes becoming red from crying. Caitlin remained in his arms even though he'd rose from their hug. Those seagreen eyes finally finding hers.

"You're allowed to mourn for your friend, Barry. You lost someone...that'll always hurt." Caitlin sympathised, she still had her arms gently resting on his, as his rested around her waist. If anyone looked at them from outside their perspectives right now they'd assume they were a couple. "You never had to hide your emotions, Barry. Never from me."

Barry stepped back feeling his nose start to run, turning to grab a tissue from Cisco's box on the side. The man returning to his place before his friend. He gave her a curt nod, he knew he could tell her anything. She'd never make the subject about her the way Iris did.

"Thanks, Cait." Barry told her, a genuine smile appearing on his lips. Barry always tried not to look at Caitlin with such fondness but it was hard when she treated him how she did...when she was there for him without him even asking. It made something flutter in his chest just thinking about her.

"Always, Barry." Caitlin smiled sweetly, this was it - this was how they were before. That was the Barry she loved. "...I've really missed you."

Barry's head bowed as he tried to hide the smile that had gotten wider, he made it back because he was coming back to her.

"Trust me...I've missed you more."