Chapter 05.

"you squeeze my hands two times, three times
And believe me I love you always, always"

Nerves flooded through the brunettes mind as she gnawed on her fingernails. A bad habit she couldn't seem to shake, no matter how hard she tried. It was wrong for her want to turn Barry's head when she walked into the bar, knowing Iris would be there too. Caitlin had never wanted to be a home wrecker, one reason she'd never made an intimate move on Barry. But god, how she longed for him to notice her, to wish he was able to kiss her, hold her hand and admire her beauty openly. She wished she was his.

A faint knock echoed through Caitlin's apartment, pulling the brunette from her overwhelming thoughts, Caitlin quietly thankful. A smile stretched across her face when she opened her door, Athena stood in the doorway, a bottle of wine in her hands. Caitlin innerly face palmed, she'd forgotten friday nights were girls night.

"So, what chick flick are we watching tonight? I totally recommend Oceans 8." The blonde gushed, slipping past Caitlin and slinking into her apartment.

Caitlin closed the door lightly behind her, tailing the blonde into the living room. Guilt swamping her mind as she prepared to let her friend down lightly. But seeing the excitement radiate off of the girl, Caitlin couldn't pluck the courage to tell her she'd have to cancel their plans.

Caitlin cleared her throat, gathering Athena's attention as she gave her a questioning glance, "Plan's changed, how about we go out instead?"

It was the first time Caitlin had suggested their girls night be somewhere other than her apartment. The idea seemed to settle well with the blonde, but one quick glance dow at her outfit and she frowned in dismay.

"Ugh, I look a mess. If I knew we were going out I'd have thrown more of a party wear on."

Caitlin shook her head with a smile. "You look amazing already, besides, it's kind of a work thing anyway."

"Oh," Athena said rather timidly, as though she was suddenly unsure. Caitlin raised an eyebrow, wondering why she was suddenly unenthusiastic. "What if they don't want me there?"

A soft smile grew on Caitlin's face at Athena's weary question, the brunette placing a reassuring hand on the blondes forearm. "You know Cisco, so you'll be fine. I promise."

Caitlin watched as the blonde popped open the wine, pouring herself a glass, taking a rather large gulp. The brunette wondered why she hadn't poured herself a drunk, knowing it would help with the nerves racking her stomach. Caitlin turned to her cupboards, taking the small bottle of vodka she stashed in there, watching Athena give her a confused look. It wasn't everyday Caitlin drank vodka.

"Are...are you nervous or something?"

For a second, Caitlin's eyes grew wide feeling as though she was on the spot. The brunette shaking her head with a light, hysterical laugh.

"No, what? Why would I be nervous?"

Athena narrowed her eyes, trying to figure out what the cause of Caitlin's behaviour was. Watching with raised eyebrows as the girl slung her third shot down her throat, she'd be on the floor before they'd even left the house.

"Whoa, hey. You'll be drunk before we even get there at this point, slow down." Athena laughed sweetly, lifting herself off her stool to come around and remove the shot glass for a moment. "Let's go find you an outfit to wear, clearly there's someone special at this little get together."

Caitlin opened her mouth to deny her claims, but closed her mouth in defeat. Barry being back was eating her alive, for whatever reason, it had gotten harder to shove down her feelings now that she knew he was back. The brunette forever tempted to slip out the fact she was horribly in love with him. All the years of pining after him catching up with her.