Chapter 06.

"I hate to say I need ya,"

Caitlin felt as though she was burning a hole right through the back of Barry's head, she had barely taken her eyes off of him after what he'd confessed to her. The usually shy woman, pleading for him to get up and come and explain what the hell had went on in the speedforce. He couldn't just leave her with no explanation, no details. Caitlin had lost count of the amount of pinà colodas she'd chugged, just hoping at some point it would stop the word loved from swarming her thoughts.

Cisco stepped into her view, breaking the intense gaze she held upon the speedster, a frown forming on her face.

"Hey, Caitlin. You do realise you're staring a lot more than usual, right?" The short man questioned, taking a swig of his beer, the brown eyed boy looking over to his best friend who currently had Iris planted on his lap.

Cisco knew how much Caitlin kicked herself for liking Barry, he saw the pain in her eyes every time Barry and Iris were together. He'd figured Barry would discover his feelings for Caitlin by now, ending this false charade he had with Iris. The mere sight of Iris smothering her friend, made Caitlin visibly cringe.

"Iris was right, I really don't have the greatest track record when it comes to love." Was all the drunken Caitlin grumbled, swirling the umbrella around her glass.

Cisco's eyebrows knitted together in concern, noting his best friend had drank one too many. Though, he didn't blame her. If he was in her situation, he highly doubted he could even be around Barry when he was with another woman.

"Hey, she's only saying that because she knows Barry has a fat crush on you," Cisco attempted to assure her, but it didn't work. The woman beside him just rolling her eyes. "Come on, Caitlin. You know he does, you can't be that blind...besides, whatever he said to you before Iris barged in. It seemed pretty intense."

Caitlin wasn't sure whether telling Cisco about what Barry experienced in the speedforce was a good idea, he'd most likely get too excited and spill it to Ralph - who couldn't keep a secret to save his life. So the brunette settled on a shrug, knowing that even if Barry liked her more than a friend. It was his job to take the first step, that preferably being leaving Iris. Something Caitlin couldn't imagine him doing anytime soon.

Before she could open her mouth to tell him she was thinking of heading home early, a voice interrupted her thoughts - a rather husky one.

"I don't really know how to start a conversation with you," The heavily built man began, eyes flickering to Caitlin's lips for a split second. "But uh, can I buy you a drink?"

The sudden question from the stranger, caused Caitlin to feel a little awkward. It was rare anyone ever walked up to her, heck, she'd never even hooked up with anyone. But Caitlin felt as though she needed to rid her mind of Barry, just until he was ready to talk. Sparing one last glimpse over at her friend, hoping he'd be heading over, only to find him and Iris tongue tied on the lounge chair, told Caitlin she might as well focus on someone else for the night.

"I could definitely use one." Caitlin offered the man a smile, grateful she didn't have to pay $8.50 just for another drink.

The light haired man seemed thrilled she'd said yes, sliding twenty dollars to the bartender. "I'm Dean, thank you for taking me up on my offer. I didn't exactly know how to approach you, you looked kind of pissed."

Caitlin let out a lighthearted laugh at his words, knowing the ogling for Barry and the daggers for Iris may have caused her to look slightly intimidating. Cisco had taken his que when the guy had walked over, leaving the pair to whatever they planned on getting up to.

"Don't fall in love with someone who's taken, heed that advice." Caitlin simply told him, not bothering to glance back at Barry. Knowing it would only result in hurting her, she focused on the man who actually wanted to give her attention. "I'm Caitlin."

"Beautiful name for a beautiful woman, I say."

If the compliment were from Barry, Caitlin knew she'd be a flustered, bumbling wreck. But from Dean, she smiled, basking in being the center of someone's attention for once. She hadn't meant to be so bitter towards Barry, but to drop such a bomb on her like he had. To simply say something like that, then return to allowing Iris to climb him like a tree. It hurt, and she was angry. Frost had been trying to crawl into control the whole night, wanting to get as she called it 'white bitch wasted' but Caitlin already felt like she was there.

Frost had a tendency to back Caitlin up in all situations, which the brunette found sweet and loving at times. But she knew Frost would happily strut over to Barry and Iris and set off some unnecessary argument. It wasn't worth the drama, especially when she knew exactly how Iris would react, assuming it was all Caitlin's fault. But it takes two people to fall in love, it wouldn't be just her to blame for Iris's heartache.

[x]

Caitlin could feel a pair of eyes trained on her, she didn't have to turn knowing it was Barry. The laughter echoing from both Dean and Caitlin, must've been what had drawn the brown haired boys attention towards her. A rush of heat flooded through the auburn haired girl, as relieved as she was about the boys attention it also made her extremely nervous. Brown eyes flittering between Dean and Barry every so often.

Dean must've sensed the sudden nerves that had grown on the girl, having gone from happy laughter to subtle, filler talk. As Caitlin gnawed on the straw of her drink, Dean placed a hand on her forearm snatching her attention,

"Why don't you just go over and tell him how you feel? The man clearly has eyes for you too," The blonde told her, a warm smile on his lips. "If he doesn't then he's obviously blind. But if he isn't interested...I'd love to have a chance with you."

It wasn't what Caitlin wanted, even though Dean happened to be a sweet man. Barry was the only guy she was longing to be with. Caitlin sucked in a breath before nodding, sliding off of her stool and tugging the ends of her dress. Here goes nothing...