Four.

"I refuse to associate with someone that is a class lower than me," C.T

"What's with the long face, Cheyenne?" I felt a hand clasp onto my shoulder, letting me know that it was Cordelia. I didn't know what to say to her. The sight before us was enough to convey into words what I couldn't. I let out a long breath, staring at Davina and her cheerful and happy interactions with the new business mogul, Stefan Alderidge.

He was the new twenty-something-year-old CEO of the company his father used to be over. He was a useful individual and I had no issues with him, but I couldn't stand the fact that Davina paraded over him like he was some long lost son. I didn't think I ever saw her smile at me the way she was smiling at him. I didn't think I ever felt her touch me on my shoulder or caress my hair like she was doing to Stefan at the moment. 

Alas, I just shoved those feelings to the back of my mind.

"Oh, it's nothing, Cordelia," I plastered a smile on my face before looking up into her eyes. There was no need to dwell on anything unnecessary. "How's the country club?" I always made sure to ask her about it because Davina couldn't be bothered to spare me any details. That, and the fact that she always scurried around the topic as if she had something to hide. Well, I didn't give a fuck because that was her problem, not mine.

"It's going very good right now, actually," She said, but the look on her face told me otherwise. "Are you sure?" I gauged and she sighed, shaking her head. "Lately, the employees have been coming to me, telling me that they haven't been getting paid. I can't do anything about that because your mother is over the finances," Cordelia grumbled and I narrowed my eyes. "Everything has just been going to shit since we decided to partner with that Alderidge bastard," She snorted in contempt and I tilted my head, wondering why she felt that way about him. I didn't know him in the capacity that she did, so she may have known a lot more than I did.

"Interesting," I hummed, wondering what the deal was. If anyone knew my mother, they knew that she operated behind the scenes. She put on this fake facade and if you didn't know her as well as I did, you got sucked into it, lapping onto every single word she planted in your ear. A leech she was, and damn, I was starting to forget she was human too.

"If I were you," I fixed Cordelia with a stern glance as everyone around us danced to the music of the gala, eating the food that Phillippe's catering company provided. "I'd keep a low profile," Cordelia sighed as she knew what I was talking about. If I had anything to go by experience, it was the fact that Davina sat on a throne of lies, secrets manifesting at her will. She didn't care who she hurt or who got in her way. 

She would do whatever it took to get what she wanted. 

From the corner of my eye, I saw Sterling staring a hole at me and I turned to look at him with indifference, watching him use his scaly finger to beckon me over. "Let me go see what he wants," I offered Cordelia a grim smile before walking to the back wall where he was standing. "Can I help you?" I wasted no time and he flicked his brown eyes at me, narrowing them. "Just what do you think you're doing, Cheyenne?" His lips were contorted into a smile to appease the guests walking past, but his voice was deadly.

"Nothing that would concern you, Sterling," I replied calmly and the tic in his jaw deepened as he whirled around on me. I knew he was angry, judging by the veins protruding on the sides of his head. He was clenching his hands back and forth and I raised a brow, wondering just what did he need from me. "You are lucky we are here at this gala," He said but I could sense the lethality of his tone.

"Go ahead," I growled, looking the bastard in his eyes. "I'm not afraid of you anymore, father. So do what you will. It certainly didn't stop you last time," I spat coldly, ignoring the harsh snarl that rumbled from his lips as I bumped past him, counting to ten to keep myself in check. No one deserved to see me at my worst, not even Vivi, who was my best friend. No one knew, and I preferred to keep it that way. The fewer feelings that were involved, the better.