Twenty.

"Maybe everything that happened up to this point was a beautiful twist of fate," -C.T

I couldn't stop myself from replaying my interactions with Holly.

"Holly, where do you live?" I probably shouldn't have asked a strong and invasive question like that, but I was who I was. The little girl looked at me with a frown before averting her gaze. "I live in a foster home with a bunch of other boys and girls," She stated, allowing me to ask more personal questions. "Do you like it there?" She began to vehemently shake her head, biting her lip.

"I hate it," She mumbled quietly, looking as sad as she felt. "I miss my daddy," She whimpered as she shifted in the passenger seat of my Escalade. She had been so shocked to see a truck like this, so shocked that she wouldn't stop fawning over it. It had been the third time since I came to her school to converse with her in terms of wanting to get to know her, and I didn't like how she seemed as if she had nothing, when a child should want nothing less.

"I just hope that he's okay. He was very sad when Mommy died, but I haven't seen him in a long time," Holly was on the verge of tears as she looked at me, her eyes begging me to do something. "Would you believe me if I said I knew your daddy?" The way her eyes lit up was almost comical as she nearly leaped into my lap. 

"You do!? You do?!" The smile on her face was probably the biggest that I had seen in my life. "Yes, I do, but I want this to be a surprise to him," I put a finger up to my lips, watching her mimic me. She wasn't as bad and I was starting to like this little girl. "I understand, Chey Chey!" She saluted me, her wild curls flying all over her head as I took in her once ratted appearance. She was clean herself, but her clothes weren't. They looked like ripped hand-me-downs, and I had half of a mind to curse someone out. 

It just made me want to provide more for her. Jesus fuck, I was going soft and the kid didn't even know me from a hole in a wall. 

"Are you daddy's best friend?" She inquired and I shook my head. "No, that would be a guy called Tomas," I replied and her eyes lit up in recognition. "Mr. T!" She screeched, the sound almost killing my eardrums. Please, Holly, I'd still like to hear, thank you. 

"He's still here! I'm just so happy that he and daddy are still friends because," Holly tilted her head, her eyes glazing over with sadness. "Daddy was really sad when Mommy died. I miss Mommy too, but I want my daddy to be okay now," I leaned on the door of my truck, getting a vague understanding of what she was talking about. She was trying to be strong because she knew how bad Joaquin had it. She wanted to be strong for her father so then if and when they reunited, he could become whole again.

The second bell sounded, letting us know that recess was almost over and we both fell quiet, a lot on our minds. I was trying to figure out what to do and she was trying to figure out how to get her father back. Luckily for both of us, I was the solution. 

"Hey, Chey Chey," Her voice was hollow and shy as she twiddled with her fingers, avoiding eye contact. "What's that?" I hummed as she nervously sniffled. By the time she had gained the courage, I already had an answer. "Do you think that I could come to live with you? Nobody wants me," She sounded as if she was going to cry, the little whimper pulling at my heart. She gazed at me with so much anticipation and I sighed, patting her head.

"I think we both know the answer to that." 

I groaned on the video call, seeing Joaquin chuckle, his smile seemingly more white than usual. "I've been ready for the past 20 minutes. Joaquin, where the hell are you?" I hissed.