Chapter 1: The Meeting

CHAPTER 1: THE MEETING

On the Hovercraft ride to the Capitol, I try to keep fro, vomiting. What I'm about to do will make me physically sick.

I attending a party celebrating the new Head Gamemaker, Plutarch Heavensbee. I do not want to be here at all. But if this Plutarch Heavensbee is going to do something weird with the Quarter Quell, I want to keep my twelve year old daughter Lilyanna safe. So that means as much kissing up to Heavensbee as I can muster.

I spot Finnick by the lake leaning delicately against a Quartz pillar.

A Capitol waiter comes up to me with a platter of wine glasses. I smile and take two: one for me, and one for Finnick.

He sees me and waves happily.

When I reach him, Finnick drapes an arm around me like a big brother. "I see you've brought me a glass, Lexi. Or two, if you're being generous."

"Me, generous?" I say. "Nah, Finnick. You know me."

His scared eyes focused on something behind me. A woman in a dress made out of what looks like lavender bubble wrap is taking pictures of everyone. She sees Finnick and winks creepily.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Nothing..." He says distractedly. "Let's go find Haymitch."

"Finnick-" I begin, but he cuts me off.

He's doing that stupid thing where he blocks out emotions again. I hate it when he does that.

"Haymitch!" He calls.

Haymitch waves us over. He's at the bar, as usual. "Anybody know where we can find Heavensbee? I want to say a fake congratulations, grab some drinks, and get out."

A female Capitol attendant comes over with a drink platter, and offers us one.

"Thank you, Miss." Haymitch says, grabbing the whole thing. Classic Haymitch.

She looks surprised, but runs off to get more wine.

I glare at Haymitch. "You should really stop drinking Haymitch."

He ignored me, scratching his neck. "You can't really blame me, can you? It helps me forget how uncomfortable this tuxedo is."

I glare at him. "How about a dress? The only ones they sell in the Capitol show the whole world my boobs and butt."

Haymitch laughed.

Finnick is looking at the woman in the lavender bubble wrap again. I slap him on the shoulder. "What is up with you?"

He shakes his head. "Nothing, just tired, Lex. C'mon, I think I see Plutarch by the garden."

I roll my eyes and yank Haymitch along.

"Plutarch Heavensbee, I'm Alexandria Winter. I hear you've been appointed to Head Gamemaker this year." I say, smiling my most charming smile. I've been observing Lilyanna's smile for a few weeks.

Plutarch looks taken aback, but smiles. "If you all will excuse me," he tells his fans, "My favorite victors must see my house!"

"May we accompany you?" An adoring fan asks him.

"Sorry ma'am, Victors only have this opportunity once a year."

Plutarch offers me his arm, and I take it. Finnick offers Haymitch his arm jokingly. Haymitch rolls his eyes, and rejects it.

We enter an exquisite entry hall. The carpeting is scarlet and gold, and so is the furniture.

"Come," Plutarch says. "My dining room is the best place in the house."