The Reaping

(Rye's POV)
My eyes are blinded by the light seeping in from the cracks of my window. Willow is peacefully asleep, the light shines on her face allowing me to see her freckles and brown hair. I push a lock of hair off her face, I remember when I was a kid I used to play with her hair. I quietly walk downstairs where I'm greeted by a wonderful smell, dad must have just made a fresh loaf of bread.
"Smells good" I smile.
"Want some?"
"No thanks I'm going to go hunting with mom, did she already leave?"
"Yeah, she left about an hour ago," Dad says while cutting a piece of bread.
"Okay."
I slip on my boots and put on my hunting jacket.
"Oh, did Willow sleep okay?"
Willow always has nightmares before the reaping, something she got from mom and dad.
"You know how it is before the reaping, no one sleeps." I shrug.
I walk over to where the fence is, moms been hunting here for years. We used to spend a lot of time here when we were kids, Willow would play in the Meadows while I hunted with mom. Rules have become more strict.
I see mom her hair is in a braided crown and she has a black jacket.
"Mom," I say.
"Rye what are you doing here it's the day of the reaping."
"I thought I could hunt with you to take my mind off the stupid games."
"There's no way to take your mind off it" mom signs.
It must be hard, she watches people that she grows to like to die, year after year. Plus she still has nightmares from her games.
"I know," I say.
"I guess we could find some birds you and Willow can eat while we're gone" mom smiles.
Mom and dad wouldn't be back until the games are done, Willow and I don't allow to come with them, so I have to take care of us until they get back. Mom and I catch three birds which will last us a while. When we make it to Victors Village. I pluck the feathers off the birds while mom helps Willow get ready.
"Rye you should be getting ready," dad says.
He's wearing a white shirt and his hair is pushed back with gel.
"I will" I mumble.
In the corner of my eye, I see Willow and mom. Moms wearing a black one-piece, her hair is still in a braided crown. Willow is wearing a mint green dress and her hair has two braids forming a ponytail.
"You look beautiful" I smile.
"You say that every year" she laughs.
"Because it's true."
I push back my blonde hair with gel and put on a light yellow button-up shirt.
As you walk to the Justice building you see people crying, people screaming, some people emotionless. I hold onto Willow's hand tightly, afraid to let go. Mom and dad walk upstage, while Willow and I get in line to get our fingers picked. It's always a surprise but it doesn't hurt that bad, nothing compared to the things you will be faced within the games. A Peace-keeper grabs my shoulder and one firm pull breaks my grip from Willow's hand.