Day Nine - Morning

Casper's up and broken his fast on whatever weird herbs Balor's growing well before the man of the hour himself gets around to doing his gardening. This leaves Casper waiting and by his own devices longer than recommended if you don't want things to start mysteriously disappearing. Not that he'd steal from Balor; the costs outweigh the benefits and he'd rather stay in the big guy's good graces as much as possible. After rummaging through the third shelf of the seed cabinet, it becomes clear there's nothing of use (or value) to steal. Several draw string pouches like the one used to hold those golden eggs he brought to town, but these are filled with seeds.

     The larger cupboard in the corner is scarce more exciting than a bag of dirt, of which there are few inside. Why anyone would keep dirt around is beyond anyone's guess, but Balor must have some use for it, otherwise it wouldn't be here. There's something about it that makes his nose burn, so Casper gladly lets it be.

     By the time of Balor's arrival, Casper has resorted to playing noughts and crosses on the top of the seed cabinet with different coloured beans while every twitch and fidget jostles the beans out of place from the crosses scratched into the wood. "Keeping entertained, I see."

     Casper jumps to attention, banging his knee hard against the cabinet's side. The beans go sprawling across the floor, never to be seen again, and Casper hops around holding his leg against his chest and using more than a few choice curses. "Would it kill you to bloody fuckin' knock? Coulda gave me a heart attack for Chrissakes."

     "Language, Casper. There is no need to be theatrical; it is highly improbable that one as young as yourself would have complaint of a heart attack."

     "Yeah, yeah." He heaves himself up to sit on top of the cabinet, coming slightly closer to eyelevel with Balor. "What's the news? When'm I gettin' outta here?"

     "Mmh. Yes, about that..." Balor closes his eyes for a beat and Casper knows he's not going to like what he's about to say. "Making the proper arrangements shall be a process, meaning that it shall take time and effort to complete the necessary plans and put them into motion."

     "So, I ain't gettin' outta town anytime soon," Casper slumps.

     "I am afraid not... Come now Casper, there is hope yet and, as it stands, there is little need to be so somber."

     "Easy for you to say..."

     "I would not utter such words lightly, were I in your position. The possibility of a better life is not only open to you, but close at hand; some do not have such fortune."

     "Fortune?  You really think there's anythin' fortunate  'bout this whole, rotten business? I'm stuck here for who knows how long with a drunken loonie that wants to do me a murder, an' you're tellin' me I'm lucky? "

     "What I am saying is that, if nothing else, you are able  to leave!"

     Oh.

     Why is it that only now, when they're both red in the face from yelling, after he's been saying all the wrong things, that he remembers that Balor can't leave.

     "And a show of gratitude would not be out of place," Balor continues, "if not for this than for all else that I have done for you!"

     "Well, I'm sorry, okay! And I'm sorry you can't leave too, but that's got nuthin' to do with me, and you can't go blamin' me for all the bad shit that's been happenin' in your life."

     "Casper, you tread on thin ice," Balor growls. "If you have anything of worth to say, you had best say it now."

     No pressure. "Wh-what I mean to say is, uh..." Come on Casper, think fast. "Th-thank you. For, uh, what you been doin' an' stuff." Balor's not turned him into a frog yet, so he has to be doing something right. When in doubt, suck up to the authority in the room. "An' I know I don't say it all that much, but I 'preciate what you been doin', you know? I jus' don't get 'round to doin' it 'cause we don't talk all that much. You ever notice that? I mean, we should talk more often, you know? An'... An', you know, I jus' realized, you got some real fine eyes, you know that? Don't think I ever seen 'em in that colour before."

     "That is enough Casper. You have diverged well enough from your original point, though I understand what it is you are attempting to convey and I... appreciate it. Now, if you would not mind, I have much to do and little time to do it in, as do you."

     "Eh? Me?"

     "Yes, you. Were you under the impression that you would not be playing a part in your own departure? Between the two of us, you would elicit less suspicion with your comings and goings than I."

     "Not with the drunk, I'm not. Dunno what bee's gotten in his bonnet, but he don't like me slippin' into town."

     "Rest assured, I have means available to assuage Myr on that point; however, it would be most useful if you were to become innocuous during your excursions into the public."

     "I dunno what inno-key-us is."

     Balor pinches the bridge of his nose. "I am asking you to not attract attention to yourself."

     "I'm tryin'! It don't help none that every yokel is callin' me out from a mile off with every comin'."

     "Then I suggest you try harder."

     Casper grumbles silently, but doesn't voice his complaints for fear of starting another row. He barely smoothed the first over and even still, it feels like he's on shaky footing with the big guy. "Do my best, sir," he unhappily salutes.

     "Very good. Now then." Balor pulls out a folded piece of paper and hands it over. "Take this letter to Mr. Smith. He will see to putting the necessary pieces in motion, and so I recommend you cause him no reason to bear you ill will." Fascinating how he says it like everything's always Casper's fault.

     Casper uncreases the page, eyes the neat rows of cramped, glyphic lettering before folding it up exactly the way it was. "You sure about this?"

     "I am as reasonably sure as I am of all else. There is certainly no harm to be had in this venture, regardless of the outcome."

     Casper considers him. He sighs. "Welp. Guess I'm goin' to town today." Not like he has anything better to do.