Day Twenty-Three - Afternoon and Evening

Casper waits and watches from a side alley for Smith to leave the post office and return to his own establishment. He'd've taken off sooner except Myr's taken to waiting in front of the bank for Smith to show himself. Smith greets him with a warm greeting of "'Zekiel!" and claps him on the back just as fondly when he gets near. They could be old drinking buddies or could be starting a knitting circle for all Casper cares, he just wants them gone and out of sight so he can go already.

     Smith invites Myr in for a drink. Myr naturally agrees, leads the way into the building in fact, welcoming himself like it's his own home. Smith doesn't seem to bothered by it either. Their familiarity with this song and dance suggests they've been doing this a long time.

     Casper sighs and files away that particular footnote for later. He may have to get into the habit of asking Balor for Myr's schedule on any given day. He's not fond of Myr getting the drop on him once, much less making it a regular occurrence.

     But, hey, here's a silver lining: if his new hitchhiking plan pans out, he'll never have to see Myr's ugly mug ever again. He'll never have to set eyes on Glenholm ever again.

     He'll never see Balor either.

     He has plenty of time to stew over the issue while waiting for the proprietor (and his daughter) at the pub's door. The people filling the main street say mass has wrapped up by now, but they've yet to show. They're certainly in no rush, though Casper certainly is. He has to leave for the hill early unless he wants to finish his chores in the dark. The daylight hours may be getting longer, but the sun's not about to go shining at midnight just because he asks nicely. Those nice, bright, golden flames Balor likes to conjure up while Casper turns a blind eye to the magics involved, they would do the trick.

     Will Balor still want to help him when he tells him that he's found his own way out of town? That he's effectively throwing in his face everything that he's done for him so far? The plants that are just coming into fruition, the arrangement with Smith, all of it?

     Will Casper tell him at all?

     Technically, he doesn't have to tell Balor anything. Maybe it would be easier if Casper just disappeared. No nasty confrontation, no teary goodbyes. No word, no warning, there one day and gone the next.

     That's what Casper does best, doesn't he? He comes. He takes. Then he leaves without a trace. Only an absence of what used to be marks his passing.

     Just a petty thief.

     Casper tries to shake himself out of his funk. Think of better, more useful things. Think of what he should bring with him tomorrow, should he leave. Key word being 'tries'. It isn't good for him to be alone with his thoughts for too long. They tend to lead him in unpleasant directions. They don't listen to him either.

     He's worked himself into a right state by the time Pa and Alicia finally arrive. About time really. Casper's stony and cheerless as a gargoyle, about as welcoming too as he slumps clear of the door so they can finally set up shop. Alicia tries to break the ice by asking very carefully, very politely how his day went, all while hiding half a step in behind her Pa. Casper gives her a look and her very careful, very polite customer service smile shudders and cracks.

     "Fine," Casper grunts, obviously anything but.

     Alicia nods automatically and is more than happy to never bring it up again. She gives him as wide a berth as possible as she passes by. Pa too, who raises a brow at Casper and malaise dripping off him, but chooses not to push him for the time being. Casper slinks after them, a shadow biting at their heels. He drops onto his usual spot by the counter, smack dab in front of the bar and impossible to ignore.