Day Fourteen

It's been relatively quiet these past few days. The last of the post-move bustle has finally died down as Casper finishes settling into his new daily routine. Mornings are, from now until always, reserved for breakfasts in the greenhouse with Balor. Balor brings him up to speed on everything he feels Casper needs to know, whether it be chores or Myr's latest mood. On this latter subject, they grumble extensively, and if Casper ends up doing most of the grouching, that's because he has more to complain about.

     In truth, aside from the usual shoving on the rare occasion Myr gets the drop on him, it's been almost tranquil. No more repeats of Myr calling up a manhunt for him in the middle of the night, but Casper sleeps lightly anyways.

     When the drunk takes off for town today, Casper makes good on having the house to himself. He's not yet seen the upper floor of the manor, due in no small part to Myr keeping residence up there most hours, and the curiosity is killing him. As the saying goes, while the cat's away, the mice shall play. Is it any surprise Casper goes creeping up the stairs the minute he's finished his chores for the day?

     An impressive set of French doors set into the wall in front of him meets him at the top of the stairs. When Balor dragged him up here that one time, he thought they were another part of the large series of windows that practically cover this side of this house. Apparently not. The doorknob, hinges, and sizable balcony that hangs over the back porch say as much. Casper sets a tentative foot outward and onto the tiling, slick and green with years of algal growth. The structure holds firm. He'll be fine as long as he watches where he puts his feet.

     It's actually quite pretty up here. He's got a great view of the backyard, with the peak of the glass house poking through the tree tops. If the trees were just a bit shorter or the house a bit higher, he'd be able to see the whole of Glenholm and the trees beyond for miles.

     Somewhere out there, past the trees, the fields, and the horizon beyond is the city. Home. Too far to be seen, forever out of view. But it's out there. Somewhere.

     He'll be back soon. One day, some day soon in fact, he'll be out of here and gone. He'll be back where he belongs.

     Casper tears himself away from that all too distant future and settles for watching Balor puttering away in their new garden whenever he can catch a glimpse of him through the trees. It's quite the thrill getting to look down on the old man instead of having to constantly look up at him.

     Casper waves him down over the balustrade when he meanders to the back of the house, having finished for the day. Balor does a double take and peers up at him. "Ah, Casper. Is that where you have been? I have ofttimes wondered where it is you disappear to in your leisure."

     Casper snorts at that. To think the master of catching people unawares is mouthing off at him about disappearing. Balor still gets the drop on him to this day. (He'll have to pay him back before he leaves.) "I figgered I might as well finish giving myself the grand tour of the place while the drunk's away," Casper explains. "Up here is as good a place as any. I mean, didja getta load of this view? Beau-tif-ful!" He leans over the railing as far as he can stretch, looking off into the distance. "How far do you think you can see from here?"

     Meanwhile, Balor is hovering anxiously below him. "Casper! I do not think that wise!"

     Casper blinks innocently at him. "What wise?"

     "Do not recline so on the balustrade Casper! I know not how firm the build is and gods know how time has compromised it."

     "It's not gonna break," Casper grumbles. Nonetheless, he steps back, to Balor's visible relief.