Chapter Seven

When Amelia woke up the next day, the events of last night came rushing back like a wrecking ball, making her stomach plummet. She closed her eyes again. 

When the gnawing emptiness threatened to overwhelm her, she called Sophie. Like a true friend, she interrupted her with incessant swearing after learning about the fight with Matthew and then at what had transpired with James.

Before hanging up, Sophie promised to drop by in the evening. Amelia didn't know what she would do without her best friend, who she loved to bits. Dragging herself out of her bed, she hit the shower. Her blistered foot stung, but the pain eased soon enough.

Later, she stared at the screen of her computer, willing herself to write something—her sore foot propped on the dining chair. Her brain stuttered. No words came. Her mind remained blank.

Maybe she should try her hand at horror. She used to concoct goosebump-inducing stories for Sophie when they had sleepovers. But the thing was, her friend got scared easily as a young girl, even the dreaded calories would send her off the edge.

A knock jolted Amelia from her deep thoughts. Who could it be? Perhaps Sophie had skipped the CrossFit class and come to lend a sympathetic ear. When she opened the door, her heart sank at the sight of a dishevelled Matthew in yesterday's clothes.

He stood in the hallway, scuffing his shoes. "I'm here to pick up my remaining things."

"You have the keys to this place." His quiet grief shattered her further. This was it, the dreaded breakup.

"I know, but as I won't be living here anymore, it doesn't feel right to just come in," he mumbled. His bloodshot eyes avoided her gaze.

She walked back to the dining table and watched as he packed his belongings. Her heart broke all over again. Was it too late to clear the air between them?

Half an hour later, Matthew entered the living room and said, "I've informed the landlord of the situation and have covered the next month's rent. As for the furniture, do whatever you want with it."

The devastating sadness in his voice almost tempted Amelia to take him in her arms, but they both knew things would never be the same between them. Her buzzer rang in the background, but neither of them paid any mind to it.

"At least have coffee with me," Amelia offered. It was important that he listened and understood her perspective, no matter how misguided.

Rage blazed through him as Matthew blasted, "Don't you get it, Millie. There is nothing to talk about. I had been a fool not to realize what was going on. I loved you, but you never loved me back."

"It's not true," Amelia said. "I was invested in this relationship. I know I have hurt you by not telling you the whole truth, but let me explain." Her voice sounded hoarse from the wallowing she had done earlier. "It bothered me that you never appreciated me for who I am. I felt like I was leading a double life with you. What kind of relationship is that?"

"So, you went to the party as his whore and wore the dress he bought for you, knowing you have a boyfriend." The maddening look in Matthew's eyes made her flinch. "Did you even think of me once?"

Her eyes misted at the charges as his rage rolled over her in waves.

"I wanted us to go further, but you never let me in. It was like I was never enough. As if this life was never enough for you," he said in sheer frustration. "God, we haven't had sex since he came into the picture. You wouldn't let me touch you. Did you know how I felt?"

There was a creak. They both turned to find James standing at the doorway of the apartment. Amelia's eyes widened. She wanted a hole to open and swallow her up into oblivion.