Chapter Eighteen

To help James weather the turbulent time, Amelia stayed with him for a few days, although Sophie worried for her. Her father had tried to reach out, but she had yet to return his call. 

His voicemail had been fraught with concern. "Honey, I'm calling to see if you are doing okay, considering everything? Listen, your mother and I want to visit you. Please call back as soon as you can."

Knowing he would harp on about James and the scandal surrounding him, Amelia decided to defer the conversation. Besides, she lived for the nights with him. It made her feel special. She was in love with him. He occupied her thoughts at work, during gym or when she worked on the next plot of The Crown of Anora.

However, as adventurous as she was becoming in their nightly escapades, the mornings were a whole different story. James kept to himself mostly. She wanted him to smile like he used to; if he could only cherish the present rather than worry about the tomorrow, which they couldn't control.

Although, one breakthrough had lifted their spirits on Friday. The SEC found nothing substantial to start an investigation. Not yet, anyway. Nate had warned them against false hopes while he still scrambled to tie the loose ends.

However, Charlotte had wanted to celebrate this small victory. Unfortunately, James had bailed out on them at the eleventh hour. There was a hiccough in the self-driving car project where two investors had gotten cold feet. James needed financing badly. She knew how gutted he would be if the deal fell through.

Her phone buzzed. She picked up. "Hello."

"Amelia? Charlotte here," she breezed from the other end.

"Oh, hey."

"My dumbass brother cancelled the plans at the last minute, and I'm already dolled up. How about we both head out for drinks?

"I'm not much of a drinker."

"I have nowhere to go. Come on, say yes, please. Just a few drinks. I can do with some fun, given the recent turn of events."

"I don't see why not," she fumbled. Hanging out alone with James' sister was a big step. The girl was a ball of sunshine with the energy of rambunctious puppies.

"Great. There is an amazing place called Sunset Bar. Brent Sullivan owns it. Have you been there? It's a short distance away from you."

"No, I don't think so."

"Then get your ass ready and let's have some fun." Charlotte laughed.

Forty minutes later, they were at the Sunset Bar, where the bartender cocked them a questioning eyebrow. "What can I get you gorgeous ladies?" His Scottish lilt sounded like a melody that widened Charlotte's grin.

"How about your famous martinis, Brad?" She fluttered her eyelashes. "Can you please bring our drinks to the table by the window?"

"Anything for you, Lola." He winked.

"You are such a flirt."

The Scot gave an over-the-top sigh. "Gorgeous girls are my weakness." He leaned forward and offered, "Listen, if you get lonely, you know where to find me. We can relive some old memories at my place."

"I will think about that," Charlotte told him, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

As they made their way to the table, Amelia queried, "You slept with him?"

"Just once. He is more fun behind the bar than in bed, to be honest." Charlotte smothered her giggle at her companion's incredulous expression. "What? Being single doesn't mean I have to live a boring life. Don't tell me you haven't had hookups before."