Chapter Twenty-One

Aiden got inside his car in disgust. He hadn't realized that convicting the rich fucker would take him this long.

James was well protected, surrounded by his team of lawyers, public relations and his security. He wanted to nail him as soon as possible before the inquiry became cold in its track. What sucked more was that his anonymous source had gone radio silent. There was something sinister afoot, and Aiden had a feeling he had barely scratched the surface. 

He had left no stone unturned, but his efforts had been stunted in all directions. When the investigation had been leaked to the media, the captain had hauled his ass to her office. She had given him hell over it. Aiden had maintained his innocence. Playing dirty wasn't his style, but time was running out.

The SEC had taken no action so far. There had to be something he had missed, something which would crumble James' empire. He would be damned to let this guy walk free. Flynn had suggested paying a visit to his family members, especially his ex-wife, but she was vacationing. Now the girlfriend, she was a different story. Speculation was rife that she was in the relationship to boost her flagging career.

The grainy pictures of Amelia in the newspapers had failed to capture her spirit. Aiden stared from his car as she exited a building in the Lower Manhattan area. He could see why James was besotted with her. She was a looker, alright.

Aiden was about to go after her when his phone rang. Cursing, he grumbled, "This better be good, Flynn."

"Did you see his interview?" his partner asked.

"I did. Smug bastard."

"Man, we should be in the stock market. We chose the wrong career."

"Is this one of your get rich schemes?" he joked, but his stare remained fixed on the girl who got inside a beat-up car.

"Not really. Anyway, we need to access WEC's system to see who authorized the sale of V-Zone shares. It's the key," Flynn told him.

"We need the warrant to search his computer. And we need to get the evidence fast," Aiden replied. "Don't think I haven't thought about it."

"Well, buddy, we got a break."

Aiden straightened up. "What do you mean?" He tore his eyes away from the girlfriend who pulled into the traffic.

"Wallace confessed. I never gave up on him. I knew he would buckle if I offer him a way out of this. His freedom for his cooperation. It worked."

"No shit. What did he say?" He gripped his phone.

"He and James were at a party last September, but he can't remember if he let the confidential information slip as he was drunk. Big surprise there. He claims that James sold the shares the very next day."

"The timeline is the connection we are looking for. We will find the incrimination evidence on his computer or his cronies'," Flynn crowed with a vindictive chuckle, but then he turned grave. "We have to move fast before James gets wind of Wallace being brought to the station for questioning."

"I could kiss you right now!" Hope flared inside Aiden as he smacked the steering wheel in excitement.  A familiar rush, which he only felt whenever he caught the bad guys, coursed through him. He couldn't wait to close this case. "Time to get the warrant. The captain can't refuse after this."

"You can say that again? Are you still going to talk to the girlfriend or the sister?"

"No need. I will see you soon." Aiden put the phone away and threw the file on James over to the passenger seat. A photograph of Charlotte Weston fluttered to the floor. He picked it up and set it aside. Given her brother's dark colouring, it was hard to believe the two were related.