XV. As You Lie Awake

Beep. Beep.

The redheadʼs eyes slowly opened as he started to regain his consciousness. He sighed at the number of apparatuses which clung to him like his life depended on them. Well, atleast it did about three days after the incident.

His skin suffered burns and scars—some that might permanently mark his body, and a prosthetic arm, but it didnʼt matter. As long as Nagisa was at the room in front of his, safe and sound.

He snapped out of his trance as the door clicked open, his team and past classmates invited themselves inside.

“Karma,” Nike whispered in disbelief as she saw his state. All of the emotions she had built up, along with the others, finally reaching its limits.

Tears started falling from the girlsʼ eyes while the men looked away but with relief. “Thank goodness youʼre alright.”

Karma flashed his usual smirk, but his eyes depicted gratefulness. “Couldnʼt have done it without you guys.” Then, his expression shifted. “How...is Nagisa?”

“Wonʼt you see her?”

“No. Not now.” He grinned sadly. “I canʼt just appear right in front of her and say 'Surprise! Iʼm alive!', can I?”

“Of course not.” the attention shifted to Rio who crossed her arms in dismay. “But we all know sheʼll have to confront you at some point.”

“Rioʼs right,” Ryunosuke followed. “What are you planning to do now that this is all over?”

Karma shrugged his shoulders, but was deep in thought.

“Iʼd like to do it myself, if you donʼt mind.”

•—

23:00 ;

NAGISA

I noticed that there was no one else in the room aside from myself. Visiting hours must have been over ages ago. I hope they got home safely. I felt a little guilty that I wasnʼt able to thank them properly, but the shock that lingered in my heart ever since I awoke overcame my gratitude.

I moved my legs to check if I had the strength to walk. Slowly, with the help of the dextrose stand, I managed to get myself out from the barren room. This is why I abhorred hospitals. They make me feel handicapped. I hate being treated like a fragile doll. I hate being a burden.

Nonetheless, the smell of medicine greeted me as I proceeded along the halls towards the gardenʼs entrance. There were less nurses assigned at the south wing, so the corridors were silent but never eerie.

“Kamisama, douka koe o kikasete hon no chotto de ii kara... ”

As I entered the garden, I heard a familiar voice— a tune he used to sing a long time ago.

“... Mou nido to hanarenai you ni, anata to futari, ano seiza
n